B & W Matrix 801 S3 and tube amplifier

I cannot find an impedance graph for B & W 801 S3.. The manufacturer states min impedance of 4 ohm and recommends amp of at least 50W. I am wondering if a 60W tube amp such as Conrad Johnson MV 60 or Premier 11A would do the job for mostly low level listening in a small-mid size room. Does anybody have experience with similar combination ? Would ss Conrad Johnson amp be a much better match ?
pvctor
Hi Pvctor

Attached are a couple of graphs from B&W for the 801 matrix.

801 Impedance Curve

Note the 4 ohm symbol. Not sure why it was plotted on this paper. You can also find plotted graphs on the stereophile review of the S2.

801 Frequency Response with & without BAF

The above graph is from the UK. All 800 matrix series B&W speakers are an active design as you are probably aware, and were meant to be run with the BAF and were shipped with them. Unfortunately these ended up getting lost as speakers went from one owner to the next.
The BAF’s allow for extension to 20hz on 801’s. This is documented in the owners manuals. The BAF’s also make the speaker more sensitive then the advertised 87 db. More bass extension and sensitivity is documented in the B&W BAF owners manual as well. My listening confirms this. I have owned my 801 S3 for 18 years. I own a couple different BAF versions.

Hope this helps and good luck with them.

Any questions you can reach out to me at bcpguy@bell.net

Cheers
that is to see from the graphs that mid-powered 60wpc tube amp will always and constantly have a current deficit.
I hate to revive an old thread but recently I had the opportunity to run my 801-2 with a Musical Paradise MP-501 Mk2 and I was left in awe. My current Bryston 7b's and BP25 sounded thin, grainy and lifeless in comparison to the 60w tube amp. I swapped in the Bryston equipment now i am left disappointed with my system and considering going tubes. I'm not sure if a Tube Preamp with Bryston amps are the cure but you can definitely run the 801's on tubes and be happy.