B&W ASW800 or SVS SB-1000??

Hi everyone,

I'm in the market for a sub, and had almost settled on an SVS SB-1000 ($499), but my local shop has a used B&W ASW800 for $450. Am I better off sticking with the new SVS, or would the B&W provide more value?

I'm looking for a "musical" sub, and don't do a lot of HT. Just looking for some input from people who actually know what they're talking about (I don't fit into that category, unfortunately...)

Thanks in advance.

cheers
origamiusa

Dates of manufacture & original retail price,

800ASW - 1995-1998 - $1600

ASW800 - 2003-2004 - $2200

You can find more info here,

http://bwgroupsupport.com/manuals/bw-archive
Post removed 
Thanks, Bob. Not sure about the B&W unit. It's also 20 years old, which really concerns me. I think I'm going to play it safe and stick with the SVS, all things considered. I've never heard a bad word about them, and it seems like the better choice for now.

I can't thank you guys enough for the input. This stuff is confusing to a newbie, like me. Thanks!

cheers

02-06-14: Swanny76109
I have no experience with the SVS but I think it is more of a home theatre sub.
SVS makes a broad line of subs in three configurations for different applications--sealed box optimized for music, ported box for music or HT, and ported corner cylinder for maximum bass extension and output. The SB-1000 under discussion is a compact sealed sub designed for music first.

To the OP: self-powered subs have come a long way in the last 10 years, let alone the last 20, and any SVS product is about as risk-free as it gets. They offer free shipping, allow a 45-day evaluation period to try out the product, and also pay for return shipping should you decide not to keep it.