B&W ASW800 or SVS SB-1000??

Hi everyone,

I'm in the market for a sub, and had almost settled on an SVS SB-1000 ($499), but my local shop has a used B&W ASW800 for $450. Am I better off sticking with the new SVS, or would the B&W provide more value?

I'm looking for a "musical" sub, and don't do a lot of HT. Just looking for some input from people who actually know what they're talking about (I don't fit into that category, unfortunately...)

Thanks in advance.

cheers
origamiusa
I have no experience with the SVS but I think it is more of a home theatre sub. I have the BW ASW750 and I am not overly impressed with it. I use it in my 5 channel HT system and it works fine with the bass management in my processor. I have tried with a 2 channel set up and it was hard to get dialed in as the newer subs now have built in digital bass management and other setup options. I think there are a lot of REL fans for 2 channel. I will let others jump in.
Not familiar with SVS subs...however my experience with B&W subs has been very positive....and this model was designed to match with Nautilus level speakers...so if you are looking for a "musical" sub look no further...remember...dealers typically take %25-%33
on trades or consignment pieces...might be some wiggle room...
Well, apparently, they mis-labeled the unit, and it's a B&W 800ASW, not an ASW 800. Why B&W made two units with such similar model numbers is beyond me. Anyone know if the 800ASW is comparable to the ASW800? I think it's a bit older, and may not be worth as much as they're asking.
That model is close to 20 years old...and subs have come a long way since then...regardless of the performance during its heyday...I would be hard pressed to spend near $500 on a 20 year old product that obviously has no warranty...

Dates of manufacture & original retail price,

800ASW - 1995-1998 - $1600

ASW800 - 2003-2004 - $2200

You can find more info here,

http://bwgroupsupport.com/manuals/bw-archive
Post removed 
Thanks, Bob. Not sure about the B&W unit. It's also 20 years old, which really concerns me. I think I'm going to play it safe and stick with the SVS, all things considered. I've never heard a bad word about them, and it seems like the better choice for now.

I can't thank you guys enough for the input. This stuff is confusing to a newbie, like me. Thanks!

cheers

02-06-14: Swanny76109
I have no experience with the SVS but I think it is more of a home theatre sub.
SVS makes a broad line of subs in three configurations for different applications--sealed box optimized for music, ported box for music or HT, and ported corner cylinder for maximum bass extension and output. The SB-1000 under discussion is a compact sealed sub designed for music first.

To the OP: self-powered subs have come a long way in the last 10 years, let alone the last 20, and any SVS product is about as risk-free as it gets. They offer free shipping, allow a 45-day evaluation period to try out the product, and also pay for return shipping should you decide not to keep it.