B&W 805 D3

Does anybody here own the B&W 805 D3? I just happen to read about this new model although it was launched sometime last year. Apparently the long-surviving Kevlar driver had been replaced by the new Continuum driver in the all new 800-diamond series now in their 3rd generation. Is the new Continuum driver a huge departure in sound quality from the previous B&W models which are on the Kevlar?

Is there a significant difference going from the following iterations :-

Nautilus 805 => 805S => 805 Diamond => 805 D2 => 805 D3 (new Continuum driver)

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

ryder

Showing 1 response by bcgator

Has technology evolved?  Definitely.  Is there a "huge" difference in sound...that's a very difficult question, that each person has to hear for themselves.   I did an audition, and the difference wasn't huge in any context of the word, at least to my ears.

I've owned the N805 and 805 Signatures, and did a lengthy audition in a well-treated and equipped room between the 805 D2 and 805 D3.  Did the D3 sound different - yes it did.  But the difference was not "huge", to my ears and my perception.  There's another thread here about these speakers and I'll post here what I posted there on the same topic - my immediate reaction, after hearing the D2 and D3 side by side, was that I imagined buyers might use the D3 introduction as an opportunity to pick up D2 models on sale.    They were close enough that the D3 introduction seemed to me to be a great chance to get D2 on clearance.  If I was going to make a purchase that day, that's how I'd have gone.   Interestingly, out of the three of us (Magnolia rep, myself, my wife), both the rep and I preferred the D2 and my wife the D3 so she was outnumbered :-)

Short story long, I like Jafant's post before me - 805s on the cheap seems a great move.  They were fantastic when they were introduced, and still are today - all the technology in the D3 doesn't minimize how good the originals were and still are.