B&W 801 questions

I just acquired a nice pair of B&W 801 F. Pre matrix and sealed bass box. They sound great. Powering them with a ARC VT100 which even though they can take more power and are not efficient, play more than loud enough for me as I listen mostly at night at low levels. Looking for advise on upgrades. Perhaps with the crossover, either replacing the caps or some sort of external (north creek) type.
Would be nice if these had Bi-Wire ability but I don't want to invest thousands.

Thank you
vdosc
Hi Micward

Your 801’s are the latest version matrix model if made in ‘99. They were designed to be bi-wired and / or bi-amped. Did just the tweeter housing part itself break off ?

Although it would be interesting to hear someone’s comments on the sound if they managed modify an older 801 with the diamond tweeter, according to the B&W support website, parts are still available for Matrix models.

B&W Parts & Prices - type 801 in model field
Too bad B&W discontinued the 801D. That's an excellent speaker. I rarely see it used here.
CT0517,
Thank you for the response. The face of the tweeter, the metal dome, fractured and fell apart. The plastic ring holding it together also is broken. It may be best for me to contact a dealer to ask about the replacement parts and the degree of difficulty for the task.
I am interested in biwiring these speakers as I believe a tube amp would soften the sound through the mid and the highs. The solid state amps I am using control the drivers very well, but produce a harsh, overall sound that is tiring and unpleasant.
Good advice about stands and distance from the walls.
Mikward - from what I have read it is not difficult to repair the tweeter, not sure if the leads are soldered so may require that skill. Easiest/cheapest way may be to just remove the midrange/tweeter head and just bring the unit into a shop with the new tweeter parts. Maybe someone that has done it can chime in here.

B&W Service manuals can be downloaded. The pdf files go into lots of illustrated detail on how the speakers come apart
Scroll down near bottom and click on the Matrix 801 S3

I have found the 801’s to be very tunable with different cables, amps/ preamps, placement. I have been playing 15 IPS master tape dubs on them. I put on the lp and or cd after and it either sounds ok or not great. Its easy to identify which lps/cds have been engineered well based on the tape.

This thread got me curious so I did a search here at audiogon. Came across this ad. I am not connected to it in anyway – Just thought it was interesting. Check out the mods on this 801.

Studio Monitors

Cheers
A question to all 801 owners - how critical is the small distance (I dunno 15 cm) from one loudspeaker's side to the window pane with the metal radiator? Sure the window pane will be covered by nice fat curtains but still it's very close. It wasn't a serious issue with my 802Ds but they are much slimmer so I could give them at least 30 cm distance.