B&W 800d's or MAGICO V3's?

considering a move from my 800d's to the V3's? is this a side ways move or will it be a big improvement?
koegz

Showing 1 response by audiooracle

Both of these speakers are quite good and differ in character.

The Magico is a good speaker and I was looking to pick them up as their dealer for NY before SBS picked them up.

I have heard them at all the shows and they are extremely over rated. In terms of technology or advancing the art they excel in neither. Krell and YG make all aluminium speakers and in fact PSB makes a cabinet with an aluminium front and rear baffle with a laminated 7 ply cabinet and they sell for $4,500.00!

Others have built state of the art crossovers, and state of the art drivers. Why all the hype with this one brand.

I do not sell YG acoustics speakers but, they are a speaker system which is a far more impressive design than Magico, perhaps they haven't wooed the press as effectively.

In defensive of B&W there is an awful lot of advanced technology in the 800D that you have, in my opinion, the frustrating part of the current B&W designs is they need a lot of power and are not as dynamic as other speakers I have heard with micro dynamic swings.

A Magico is a side step at best, to truly move up to another realm of possibility in sound you need to graduate upwards to larger displacement loudspeakers with greater
sensitivity, a great sense of soundstage preand truly low deep bass response.