B&K avr307

I was thinking about buying a new receiver for my surround sound system. My current receiver just retired. So was at the store tonight. I was checking out the Yamahas, Onkyos, and Harmon Kardons. I saw a B&K avr507, when the salesperson described the features I was overwhelmed. I really liked the idea of being able to upgrade the unit off the internet. I can't really afford the 507, but see the 307 used in my price range. I checked out the reviews on audio reviews.
Are these receivers as good as I was told my this salesperson? Anyone owners out here, might be able to add anything? Comments suggestions?

Thanks to all that reply!
johnymac

Fast forward 18 years... I've had probably 15 different B&K components over this time: several AVR 507s, some amps and preamps.  I sold a bunch with my house, and am now buying again in anticipation of construction of a new house.  Have had other brands in the meantime. Nothing compares to B&K.

John thank you for your post. I've been waiting for a good reason to get my feet wet and make my first post on audiogon. I bought the B&K 507 two weeks ago. I am very happy with this receiver, to say the least. I also got a killer deal through 6ave.com electronics, for 2998 dollars. This includes the fantastic five year warranty. I went to a local 6ave store here in New Jersey. I mention this since alot of the "great deals" on the net do not include the manufacturers warranty,so be careful. I spent a good time comparing various models around this price range. None campared to the B&K. I was originally going to buy the denon 3803, for two grand less. This was after comparing the Yamaha 2400, Pioneer Elite 53tx, various Onyko's, etc. I wasn't happy enough with any of these. I decided to save money for seperates and try to deal with listening to my Sony ES Until I could afford the seps. I listen to music 90%. This includes multichannel encoded. I guess the sony was to much to bear. I spend alot of time on various hifi web sites, this is an addiction mind you, and the B&K had very good reviews. Then I saw the B&K on sale. I was surprised since you never see these on sale. Well I went to 6ave and listened to the very musical 507. I compared it to the Denon 4802R, and the 5803. It was no contest. The B&K was the closest I could find to having a seperates sound. I must say that nothing is as good as having actual seperates and plan on going this route when I can afford to. Also, the B&K 507 has the same processor as the B&K reference 50 preamp. I also had the pleasure to listen to the preamp teamed with the reference 200.7. I would have gone this route if I could have afforded it. Still the 507 holds up very well, and I'll most likely just add the reference 200.7 amp to it when I can afford it. I emailed B&K at www.bkcomp.com and received a catalog soon after. As you can see I like this product. The amp has an extended frequency range. This brings a large soundstage to music. I am also better able to hear the dynamics at lower volume levels. This is important since I share a house. I really enjoy the dolby digital II music mode for my cd listening. If you prefer, the 2 channel mode is great also. None of the other receivers sounded good in this mode. Maybe except for the Denon 5803, yet the Denon is $1000 more. The processor does a great job with Dolby digital encoded dvds. This receiver is up to date with all the latest modes including dolby digital ex, dts 96/24, and thx ultra II. The system setup is very easy. It actually makes sense, I can't say the same for my previous sony es. The LCD remote is very nice too. One more thing. The B&K doesn't have those unnecessary dsp modes. I never used them on my sony and feel they are a gimmic to get people to buy. More isn't always better. In summary the B&K is a very solid unit. I'm very happy with mine. Good luck.
The 307 has more features than most people will ever use and has plenty of power. I have been very happy with mine. B&k in my opinion is a rock solid product. I will probably not even upgrade my unit, because my set up sounds good the way it is.
I have just had the factory (507) upgrade done on my 307. It is now an AVR 317. The upgrade cost $465, so if you can get a 307 at a good price and can afford the upgrade in the future, it's well worth it. The 507 has a few valuable features the 307 doesn't. It has Pro Logic II or Neo:6 and room gain adjustments for your sub. Overall, the B&K is one of the best receivers around. Perhaps the only two receivers that are better are the new Arcam ( higher end but not by much and less power) and the Sunfire Ultimate (hit & miss with all Sunfire products). I've owned Sony ES, Marantz Reference Standard and I brought home Denon and Integra to test. No contest. I'll keep upgrading my B&K until I have the room for separates. BUY THE B&K. If you've got more questions, you can find me at mt10425 on Audiogon.
I've had alot of stuff (up to $80,000 in two channel high end) and I think this (AVR307) was the best rcvr on the market. It does everything VERY well. I have not compared it to the 507, but it blew away the Denon and everything else I put it up against.....A smokin bargin!!!