B&K AVR307 used or other new AVR?

Interested in opinions about the B&K 307 vs. new, other brand HT receivers in the $800 price range. Lots of power and all the features that I can imagine wanting. But I realize that this being my first HT, I may one day miss some of the new bells and whistles on today's current crop. Sound in two channels is a strong consideration. The used price of the B&K seems like extraordinary value. Will power Totem Dreamcatcher 5.1 system. Thanks to all.
frogman

Showing 1 response by ccfunkster

I had the AVR 307 since 2003. I had to have it repaired last year. Issue was a bad power supply capacitor.
Since day one I have had a minimal buzz coming through all speakers but I just ignored it (you only hear it when you an inch from speaker). Out of curiosity I purchased a Onkyo NR 809 mainly for the new technologies. I'm impressed, Video processing does improve picture and audio on two channel sound pretty good. More bass and sharper highs than B&K. I do have a Vincent two channel amp powering the fronts as I did with the B&K. So maybe this processer is better suited for the Vincent amp than the B&K. Can't comment on the Onyko's front amps because I have not used them. But the can be Bi-amp as the the receiver has 7 channels.
I'm on the fence if I'm going to keep this unit. Maybe It will grow on me within my 30 return period. Also Only is releasing 2012 models next month with some new features.