Ayre DAC vs Auralic vs Metrum vs Bel Canto

I'm trying to decide on which DAC to get. Could someone please highlight the best dac among these choices? I like smooth musical sound yet not too colored or sluggish. The Auralic got good reviews, but how does it compare to the competition?
aquablu8
I have been using my Metrum through Apogee Duettas, GamuT L5s and just now Spendor S 100s; sounded great with all of them. CJ 350 and Meridian 605 amps, Audia Flight line stage.
I liked the Ayre QB9. I had it in my system for a short trial but couldn't bring myself to pay that much for only USB. I found it outperformed the Wavelink HS/Bel Canto DAC3.5VB combo I had. Not in terms of details but when hooked with USB, the pace of the music was just better.

I still preferred my CD2 + Bel Canto DAC3.5VB combo. There's something intrinsically right about the pace and energy of having a physical disc transport vs a computer.

Since then I have upgraded the DAC3.5VB to a MkII and I dare say it should be much closer. I also have switched to a Weiss INT202 which seemed better again than the Wavelink although it does not support Integer mode.
The conclusion that the Ayre QB-9 is less musical is ... odd.

An Ayre QB-9 was used in an all Ayre, solid state system driving SF Cremonas versus the Metrum being used in an all Shindo system, lush beautiful tube gear driving Devore Gibbon 9s.

The disclaimer is made that this is not an apples to apples comparison. No kidding, it's about as far from apples to apples as you can get. This is like comparing a Rolls Royce on one day to a Ferrari on another and saying the Ferrari is faster but the Rolls is more luxurious, and wondering, "Huh. Could it be the shoes I was wearing?"

I've had both the Ayre and Metrum in my system. The same system, in my room. I found the Metrum more clinical and the Ayre more musical, but neither was as resolving or as musical as the PS Audio PerfectWave DAC.