Ayre AX7e vs Hegel H160

Buying a small system for my daughter and son-in-law's house warming gift.  The both use Pono's which can be used in balanced mode with amps that have a balanced input.  The best integrateds I can find with a balanced input  in my price range are the above mentioned ones.  No tube amp recommendations-- too fussy for these folks.

Speakers are Dynaudio Focus 160's.  Room is 12 x 15 and they listen mostly to acoustic Americana music at moderate volumes. Both are well reviewed -- the Ayre particularly so.

Is the Ayre at 60 watts/8 ohms and 120 / 4 ohms  enough to drive the relative inefficient speakers? The Hegel at 150 watts is clearly more powerful but I am worried about the DAC becoming out of date. The Ayre is slightly cheaper but with a couple hundred of the Hegel. 

Help me decide please.  I need to pull the trigger tomorrow.
teeshot

Showing 1 response by joey54

I did an extensive comparison between the Ayre AX7e and the Hegel H160 using its internal DAC. I used the Ayre Codex with the AX7e. In my system, Harbeth SHL5+, Aurender N100H and all Audioquest cabling, the Ayre system was a much better fit for me.

In my system the Hegel had a whitish, clinical sound that I could not warm up to. This surprised me because I have never heard anyone describe the Hegel in that way. I heard the Hegel again recently using one of their external DAC’s and it sounded much better, though it was not in my system and it was using B&W speakers.

this is just my experience and YMMV. Good Luck!