Axpona 2022 what impressed you?

I'll start. The Borrensen 01 playing Otis Taylor 'Resurrection blues' was stunning! I also enjoyed the Legacy Aeris on the first floor playing Nils lofgren 'Keith don't go'. In the smaller rooms there was a $4k pair of speakers with what looked like 18" woofers and a horn tweeter that performed well. While the kef ref 3 sounded harsh the ref 5 in a similar small room sounded great just reminding me how much incremental set up affects the demo. I only had a few hours on saturday and missed many rooms due to crowds and would enjoy hearing others impressions from the show.

128x128steve59

Showing 2 responses by ddunne83

Oh, also the Joseph Audio speakers were pretty awesome.  Avantgarde too.  man there was a lot of awesome stuff there, just not a lot I could afford beyond the Janszens, and luckily I preferred them to basically anything at any price.  They don't do scale and slam as well as those mega-buck systems, but I don't need that and I don't have huge rooms to fill in my home.  Can't wait to hear them in my home tomorrow.

From what I saw - and I was only there for 5 hours so I saw nowhere near everything:

1) Janszen + Bacch room.  Best value for the money, probably best sound overall for my tastes!  That 3D sound was incredible.

2) Bayz speakers - holographic

3) The big Sonus Fabers - FILLED A ROOM!

4) My first time hearing Audio Note, was fairly impressed but like my Tannoy Ardens better...just bigger sound with much bigger drivers on my Tannoys.  The Audio Note had big sound for not large speakers.

Other thoughts.

All the big rooms were good, of course.

Didn't like MBL for whatever reason.  Really wanted to.  Will have to hear again sometime.

The Acora speakers were awesome, never heard of that brand but they were very good.

I thought TAD was overpriced.

Didn't get to hear Raidho.

The little bookshelf speakers in the Carver room were really good.  What a system for not a lot of money!

Again the Janszens were the only ones I could afford that made me willing to open my wallet...and I did.  Bought a used pair of the older Z2.1A's.  Will also be buying a demo of the Bacch software.  Trying to re-create the magic I heard in room 1406!  (I think that's the right room, anyway).

Now will I be able to let go of my KEF 107/Accuphase system, or my Tannoy/Leben system?  Hmm, we'll see.  Janszen speakers arrive tomorrow!