Axpona 2018

Went again this year and found the show to be larger, higher quality sounding rooms than previous shows. I have been to many brick and mortar stores which have good sounding rooms, but at Axpona this year many rooms were better sounding than their store show rooms!

My best sounding large room was the VAC/Von Schweikert Audio/Esoteric, room. The Wilson room with the DCS stack was also very good. My best small room, and there were many, was the Gershman Accoustics room, their new speakers were sounding great with top end electronics. Also, I was impressed with NOLA room again.

128x128jab

Showing 1 response by davespectral

Thank you for this post jab. *The von Schweikert Ultra 11’s had a HIDDEN SUBWOOFER in that room!! - But I digress.....
I FINALLY made it Sunday! It was my first AXPONA. I now know to sign up for at least two days next year. I did not hear nearly all of the speaker rooms, but the two that blew me away were first the Legacy Focus SE’s! I reintroduced myself to Bill Dudleston. We met ages ago at a P.S.A.C.S. stereo club meeting in IL. What a great Gent he is. He was not playing the larger legacy’s at the time, but the S.E.’s sounded like Heaven on earth.
"There Is Something Happening Here" Then I walked into The Audio Company room, with the von Schweikert Ultra 11’s. Michael Fremer walked in, sat down in front of me, then he moved to the front. I SHOULD have introduced myself, but I was afraid he would go Don Rickles on me! LOL He brought in a Clarity Audio, custom-made album of the Who in white vinyl, 45 RPM, and hand pressed! He was not shy about standing up and explaining all about it before the TT operator played it. The sound was simply astounding!
*In that room was a hidden 15" subwoofer. In that curtained off little room that was in front, off to the right as you walk in there. I asked the gentleman who was back there moving something, and he said it was for cancellation, which I assume he meant room nodes? Maybe out of phase like the old Pass Phantom Shadows? They should be UP FRONT about that, literally. They should have explained it. I noticed during the playing of The Who, those little woofers were really moving and looked ready to give it up if pushed a bit harder. I could see their movement from my 3rd-row seat. Hmmmmm. I will say, those von Schweikert Ultra 11’s, IMO because of the large vertical stack array, controlled that whole HUGE room perfectly! It sounded like they were ten feet away from me instead of, maybe twenty-five? With Michael’s pressing, it was the sound that God listens to. I REALLY wanted to hear the Focus S.E.’s next to them, but......
Anyway, I do not know why I didn’t go to one of these before, but next year, I will hear every room there with the larger speakers.
I can’t wait to hear all of the "Best in show" impressions!
Me: (Dave Smith on Facebook. The guy with a plane over my head in my selfie.
P.M. me if you want to connect there.)