AXPONA 2017 Protocol

I need some wisdom from this community. I'm attending AXPONA for the first time on Saturday, April 22. I specifically want to hear a selection of certain speakers in order to narrow down what I plan on auditioning in my home. So, is it encouraged or frowned upon to bring a USB with various musical selections on it and ask for the USB to play through the systems being demonstrated? Also do any serious price negotiations occur at AXPONA, or is that expected to happen at a later time in a more private setting? Finally, I would appreciate hearing from veteran attenders the absolute one thing I must experience on my one and only day and also the one thing I should not waste my time with at the show.
I look forward to your insights and advice.   
Ag insider logo xs@2xastewart8944

Showing 1 response by shoresaudio

Room setup is variable at the show.  I noticed that some took time to use some room treatments and set things up properly.  Others just looked as though they were dropped in place with a rudimentary attempt at proper speaker placement.  Let's face it, too, hotel rooms and large ballrooms are atypical compared to where we listen at home.  The exhibits are a mixture of manufacturer rooms and dealer rooms (sometimes both, like a dealer with a manufacturer's rep.)  

My point? You can get an idea of what something might sound like, but if it were an expensive purchase, I definitely would follow up with a visit to a local dealer to hear them at length.  Serious auditions are something that AXPONA really is not intended for.  It is good, though, for gathering information. Talk to the reps and the salespeople.  Ask the questions.  It is worthwhile. 

I did find that Friday afternoon was when rooms were beginning to thin out.  I forget which room it was on the 12th floor, but I heard a really nice setup with Focal speakers and Pass Labs monoblocks.  One of my favorites at the show was the room with the ProAc Response D48R (I forget the dealer's name unfortunately)--great music, a tuned room, and others at the show were recommending it.  

I took a USB thumb drive with me last year but never used it.  It also doesn't hurt to ask the rooms if they have some of your choices on their servers--they might, and will usually be happy to play it.