Avantgarde Trios, SETs, and Impedance Curves

Has anyone ever seen an actual impedance curve plot for the Avantgarde Trios? I am about to acquire a 3 year old pair and need to find a great amp to drive them. I suppose conventional wisdom would be to use an SET of some kind. However, to perform their best, SETs really require a relatively flat impedance curve. So, I guess what I'd like to know is how badly does the Trio impedance fluctuate with frequency, and/or, empirically, what amps have Trio owners used that have rendered awesome performance?

How about it, Trio owners, any advice for a new Trio guy? Any feedback would me most appreciated!

Dean
theloveman
Hi Theloveman,

sorry for the slow answer.

I am using only one REL sub and yes it can go up enough, the REL Studio III can not do this but the Stentor can. My room is only twentysomething square meter with some tricky furnitures. My listening level is not too high, so I never felt I need more sub. The only amp which was as good to my music listening habit as the Altmann, is the EAR-Yoshino 834T integrated, which I was using between the Altmann and the Kageki for few months.

I just got a DEQX digital crossover/room corrector and planning to try a multi-amp, digitally crossed system where one amp (Altmann BYOB with Altmann Attraction DAC from the digitalout of the DEQX) drives the Trio less sub and the other, sub way is driven by the DEQX as well through another Altmann DAC to the line level input of the REL. This way an almost perfectly timed integration is possible between the Trio and the REL sub. I hope so :-)
Hi Ferenc,

Thank you for your response.

Given that your listening level isn't very high, I can understand you're not needing the additional sub, but I am convinced that there is a lot of ambient information in the low frequencies that can only be reproduced in stereo. This element can lend a lot towards realism.

Obviously from your prior posts, you've had considerable experience with tube amplification on the Trios, so I am curious if you find the Almann to be the equal of the tube amps in terms of instrumental weight, body, timbre, and harmonic richness? These are the areas that I typically find solid state amps fall short of a good tube amp.

My room is similar in size to your own, so perhaps the Altmann BYOB would provide adequate power for me as well, though I may listen a bit louder than you on some occasions. I am surprised that since you like the Altman so much, you didn't decide to triamp the Trio with the DEQX providing the crossover and EQ for each of the three drivers. In my mind, the phase and timing errors between the three horns could be completely corrected with the DEQX, and I would think that since those timing and phase errors occur at frequencies where the human ear is considerably more sensitive, they would be far more audible than the ones between the Trios and the woofer.

Of course, you'd have the added cost of two more BYOB amps, but even the cost of three of them isn't as much as most SETs. I do wonder if you could run 3 amps without compromise on one large car battery? If these amps sound as good to me as they do to you, I'd love to try that myself.
I have the curve if anyone is interested. It has two peaks of 38ohms at 90hz and 65ohms at 950hz. It's about 9ohms at 10K hz and is faily flat from 8k out to 20k.
jls3od@theglobalnet.net
Hey Jls3, after all this time, someone with an actual impedance curve. Is the impedance plot you are describing coming from the older 8 ohm version or the newer Omega series rated at 19 ohms? I can't even begin to comprehend the 65 ohms at 950Hz as that frequency is well above the lower cutoff of the midrange driver's operating range--no low powered SET or solid state amp will be able to drive it at that frequency. If I may ask, how did you obtain this impedance plot? Was it derived from information published elsewhere or did you perform actual measurements?

If you have an actual graphic display that could be sent via e-mail or posted here on the forum, I'd love to see it. Thanks for the information.

Dean
My experience is limited to the Duo, not the Trio, but the speakers are enormously revealing. I used them the first year with a pair of Audiopax 88's and they were delicious. However, the move to the Lamm ML2 was noticeable in a variety of ways.
The speakers also benefitted from Apex footers, and very good wire- the jumpers that came from the factory pale by comparison to the aftermarket choices.
I have never been completely satisfied with the bass from the Duo though. Maybe it is me, or my room, but the problem isn't lack of bass, it is a discontinuity in the sound between the horns, which are very open, and the monkey coffins, which sound like amplified speakers. Perhaps in a large room- large enough to get the distance you probably need to let the Trios converge properly- the bass can be sorted out. I know AvG now offer a smaller horn-loaded woofer other than their monster bass horn, but I have not heard it. Jim Smith is a very good guy and quite knowledgeable.