AV receivers to stay away from??

I am looking for an entry level (ie. cheap $200-350 used)AV receiver that I will use for 50/50 movies/music. What of the mainstream brands (Onkyo, Harmon K., Denon, Yamaha)are decent and which should I stay away from. I would like it to sound decent in stereo mode also. Thanks, in advance for any input!! Chris
chris_pisani

Showing 1 response by chaskelljr2001

Pisani..... It looks like all of the brands you have listed are all decent brands. I wouldn't have a problem with you going with either one of them. If you were to ask me what my preferences were among the four brands you have listed, that would depend on what speakers you would use with them. If you have "bass heavy" type of speakers, then I would go with Yamaha or Onkyo. If you have "bass shy" type of speakers, then I would lean toward Denon or Harman/Kardon. Also, I would give NAD some consideration as well. The brands I would stay away from are Sony (their non-ES stuff), Pioneer (unless it's their Elite stuff), and definitely, don't EVEN attempt to mention Technics and my name in the same sentence. Those would be the brands I would stay away from. Beyond that, it's your call. --Charles--