Aurender ACS100 as streamer/player

After fiddling around with sending digital files from MacBook to DAC via JRiver, I'm researching dedicated server/streamers in the ~$3K range. I've read many posts here, as well as external reviews, and the Aurender ACS100 seems appealing as a potential one-box solution. Close to it is the Auralic Aries G1.1, since one can use an external drive to rip CDs with error correction. I've heard about Innuos Zenith Mk3 (with CD ripper), but I prefer the remote apps offered by Aurender or Auralic.

Anyway, my main question is the value of using ACS100 as a single source (streaming and playing stored music). Aurender has the following disclaimer/warning:

"ACS100 is a NOT a high performance digital audio transport. It is intended as a companion piece to another Aurender. The ACS100 USB 2.0 port is NOT the same as Aurender's hallmark dedicated filtered and isolated USB 2.0 AUDIO port" (e.g., as found on NT150).

Of course they want you to buy a NT150 as well. Yet after all that, they go on to say:

"However, ACS100 does have a USB 2.0 output. So, one may pair this model up with a high performance DAC for a complete digital front end solution if desired."

The implication is that you may get garbage out from the ACS100 USB 2.0 port, but go ahead if you are so desperate.  What have ACS100 owners actually found when using the unit as their primary digital source, connected directly to a DAC?

ral
Post removed 

@ral

Since you’re considering ACS100 as primary digital source, the two obvious concerns are its non filtered & isolated USB output and external SMPS UPS power supply. If you’re ok with its external SMPS UPS power supply then all you need to ensure that your DAC has a decent to stellar USB implementation. Aurender uses low powered high efficiency CPU’s so they are designed for virtually no noise operation.

Alternatively if you can stretch your budget, consider buying a used ACS10. I have seen used ones available for $3500-$4K. With ACS10, you get all the functionality of ACS100 plus a high end audio streamer with a completely isolated & filtered USB output.

FWIW, I am using ACS100 in my system for ripping, storage and streaming. Since my DAC is Ethernet based, I am not relying on ACS100 USB output for audio. In my configuration, the ACS100 is virtually indistinguishable (to my ears) from previously owned N10 and N20. And then you have the Critical Listening Mode in ACS100 for even quieter, more transparent audio presentation.

Lastly, I must give props to Aurender for ACS Manager iOS app, its Metadata Editing and Library Management is simply outstanding. The transition (toggling) between ACS Manager app and Conductor app is seamless.

PS: My ‘Digital’ system is listed under my moniker if you like to see how I am using ACS100.