Audiophile Speakers for Rock, HipHop and Techno

I love many genres of music. Having a hard time finding a speaker that sounds great with hip hop, techno and rock. Suppose I should mention I've auditioned the Dynaudios Hertiage Specials and Sonus Faber Oylmpia Nova 1s. They sound fantastic with classical, acustic guitar, female voices etc... But what audiophile speaker ..especially at the 7-8k price point doesn't. Idk..  Im starting to think I need two sets of speakers. Sonus Faber Olympica Novas sound beautiful...then maybe a pair for other genres of music. Any suggestions for speakers that sound great for hip hop rock and tecno? I'm only able to do bookshelves...and I do have a pair of RELs already.

My pwr amp is a coda no.8 v2 @ 250w

tmac1700

Showing 12 responses by tmac1700

@ghdprentice thank you for sharing your journey. Thats reassuring to hear. I will check out where you ended up. That's great your so happy with it. :) 

@soix @dweller Thank you for suggesting ATC. I haven't looked at these before. From what ive been reading the SCM 19s sound like an absolute winner. It seems like ATC and Sonus Faber may have very similar traits...since they both dedicate everything to a fantastic mid range. There is one dealer in my state that sells ATC but from their web site it seems they only sell pro audio studio speakers. I emailed them and asked if they had any passive speakers available to audition.  Haven't heard back yet. 

@dweller yeah.  I saw that. The finish I'd want is on backorder. Was hoping to be able to audition first but if they have a great return policy then that could be fine. Are you currently using these speakers? Curious how u have them set up from the wall. Power amp and if your using subs...

@canibefrank I have a pair of Acoustic Energy Ae1 actives in my secondary system. I love them. Actives speakers... I believe are the future. Well designed ones sound incredible. Looking for passive for my main set up though. I have 2 much invested in componets and love my power amplifier 2 much to let it go. :)

@james633 yes I do. It wasn't easy. I had a hard time with REL but it got sorted out. The speakers I've listened to so far...the bass has been very boomy. Mostly with the Dynaudio Heritage specials. The sonus faber I listend 2 weren't the olympica Novas in my post...I made a mistake in typing it out. It was an older model. I called the dealer to find out what they were but he didn't remember but assured me they weren't the Novas. I basically don't want a bookshelf to try and give me low endbass that it can't give me. I felt that's what the Dynaudios were doing. I feel with the sonus faber I may have to sell the t5is and get t7 or t9s rel. I'd love Rhythmik but can't fit them in my space. 

@bluorion I going to have to give the special 40s a try. Or even listen to confidence 20s. The heritage specials were my only experience with Dynaudios speakers so I dont have a good idea what their sound is. I found.the heritage specials sounded wonderful except the bass was very boomy. So much so...it just distracted me from everything that it does so well. 

@mrteeves thanks. how do they perform at low level listening?

I'm excited to check these out. I assume do just as well with orchestra,  piano, acoustic guitar etc. as well. 

@soix it makes sense why u would suggest the 19s. The two speakers I mentioned in my post are bookshelf speakers. :)

listening space is the living room and the room isn't very big. Unfortunately I bought my house before I got into this hobby.  :/

Space has been a killer for me. My partner at work feels my house isn't set up for high end audio. I don't think hes right... i just have to compromise more than most.

Sounds like ATC are bit more forgiving with placement.  As with Sonus Faber and some Focals. 

@bajaed 

Little confused with that speaker. So it's kind of a active speaker with an internal amplifier?

@rlovendale nothing yet brotha. things happened at home and my funds went towards a new house, lawyer etc. Ya know 🫣

But.. I still have eyes on this thread and plan on using all the good advise I was given ..