Audio Science Review = "The better the measurement, the better the sound" philosophy

"Audiophiles are Snobs"  Youtube features an idiot!  He states, with no equivocation,  that $5,000 and $10,000 speakers sound equally good and a $500 and $5,000 integrated amp sound equally good.  He is either deaf or a liar or both! 

There is a site filled with posters like him called Audio Science Review.  If a reasonable person posts, they immediately tear him down, using selected words and/or sentences from the reasonable poster as100% proof that the audiophile is dumb and stupid with his money. They also occasionally state that the high end audio equipment/cable/tweak sellers are criminals who commit fraud on the public.  They often state that if something scientifically measures better, then it sounds better.   They give no credence to unmeasurable sound factors like PRAT and Ambiance.   Some of the posters music choices range from rap to hip hop and anything pop oriented created in the past from 1995.  

Have any of audiogon (or any other reasonable audio forum site) posters encountered this horrible group of miscreants?  

fleschler

Showing 4 responses by lanx0003

What is worse than Amir himself is the asr forum host who censors opinions different from his and a group of abusers, nothing different from the communist countries.  I look at his measurements but cross check with other more dependable sources.  

I don't think a healthy, civilized society like AG should censor / ban amir or any person like him as asr / amir did to others.  But we could choose to ignore him simply because you could not win the argument with a dictator from a third-world community like putin.  His seemingly non-toxic statements filled with toxic tone / attitude should always be ignored.

@laoman 

However many of us do take the line that dacs do sound different and that perhaps a wonderfully measuring dac  pushed by Amir does not sound that great. 

I was one of them who got banned because of this subject.  Amir seldom conducted listening test and it is no wonder every Dac sounds the same to him and his members.  There is no measurements existed today for such important sound traits as soundstages.  So without listening test there is no way to objectively and comprehensively assess the sound quality.  For example, I have purchased two Topping Dac based on the wonderful measurements BUT return / sell both because of the lack of soundstage depth and separation.  Some reviewers I trusted also commented about the Topping flagship D90SE sounds flat as well.

Also I think Amir's iron fisted approach of throwing out everyone who disagrees with him is pretty rude and shows the sort of person he is. I feel sorry for him ...

Same here but I won't describe him "iron fisted".  Maybe people outside the third world do not understand the gravity of the issue of censoring speech / opinions but I could tell you what he has done is not acceptable.  I have no regret of being banned other than feeling sorry for him.  I could still discuss technical subject with folks from several smaller forums and acquire satisfactory / constructive responses.

It is really nothing to write home about in terms of asr’s audio gears testing. Audioholics and Erin’s Audio Corner could do and actually were doing better jobs. Their recommendations are found more objective and thrustworthy because, as Stereophile does, they complement the measurements with critical listening in great length to give more comprehensive assessment. That covers not only the traditionally available measurement matrices but also important sound traits that can not be measured today such as soundstages and other psychoaccoustic elements. If asr/Amir proclaims you are the better scientific guys, prove it.