Audio Research Reference 150 and Sonus Faber Cremona

How would this amplifier pair with my Cremonas, original floor standing model? Currently using Classe CA-M300 mono locks, but am tempted to try a tube power amplifier. Using ARC LS-27 preamp.

Cremona's are rated at 4Ohms but with a fairly hard to drive phase angle, so I'm not sure how well this tube amp will work. The Classes are rated 300/600 Watts into 8/4 Ohms

fundsgon

Showing 1 response by georgehifi

fundsgon
Audio Research Reference 150 and Sonus Faber Cremona

The SF Cremona need current, and a good amount of it if you want to hear the bass "at it’s best". This means solid state amps with big power supplies and bipolar (bjt) output transistors. (
I stipulated "at it’s best" because tube and mosfet amps will drive them and probably sound good, but they won’t get the very best out of them in the bass.

(I not sure if your Classe’s are mosfet or bi-polar) If bi-polar, you have the best amp already, look at other areas if you need to change the sound, source ect.  Because the Classe are 50kohm input impedance you can even try passive preamps. 

Sterophile quote:

However, that amplifier must still be capable of delivering a goodly amount of current. Even though the Sonus Faber’s impedance magnitude remains reasonably uniform at higher frequencies, it drops to 2.8 ohms through the upper bass, with a cruel combination of 4.5 ohms and a -53 degrees electrical phase angle evident at 73Hz (fig.1).
http://www.stereophile.com/images/archivesart/CREmoFIG1.jpg

Cheers George