Audio Research REF 75 vs VAC Phi 200

Anyone compared these two highly rated power amps? Both companies are well regarded in the audio community. These amps sell at approximately the same price point. The VAC may have a little more power.
128x128rja

Showing 3 responses by oregonpapa

I haven't heard the VAC amps in my system, but I own the
REF 75. Don't judge the REF 75 until you change out the
tubes for KT 150's - available from Upscale Audio. While
the REF 75 is amazing with the stock KT 120's, it is in a
different league with the KT 150's. If you go with the KT
150's, you'll have to leave the top cover off of the amp
because the new tubes are a bit too high. Sounds better
with the cover off anyway, so ... so what?

My current system:
ARC REF-3 pre amp
ARC REF-75 amp
ARC PH-8 phono
ARC CD-7se
Well Tempered TT. Original issue and highly modified.
AT-0C9 MK III cartridge.
Speakers: Legacy Signature IIIs biwired with Cardas
binding posts.
Bifwynne ...

Yes, its the CD-7 with the upgraded power supply and tube upgrades. Big jump in sound over the stock CD-7. In fact, quite amazing. I have it on good authority that the newer CD-6 is more analog-like ... and it has no tubes.

Dbarger ...

Yes, you're correct. The top WILL fit on with the KT-150's in place, but just barely. Even so ... leave the top off. The amp sounds better sans the top ... just like turning the meter lights off. Same thing for all of ARC's display lights.

Also, just in case you folks haven't seen this in some of my other posts; move the tube dampener rings up to as close to the top of the tubes as you can get them, and be sure that both rings are solidly touching each other. This provides for a nice overall improvement in sound.

Happy listening ...
Bifwynne ...

According to my source, the CD-6 is a fantastic CD-Player. I'm tempted, but I really love the sound of my upgraded CD-7. It really jumped by a large margin when I installed the REF-75 into the system. It was like an entirely new CD collection ... and I have a couple of thousand of those silver discs. (Are we nutz, or what?) Based on that, I think Kal gave you some straight-up advise.