Audio Research REF 6 to REF 6SE upgrade.

UPDATE””””””””” I just got off the phone with Audio Research about the REF 6 to 6SE upgrade and I was told that the price of the upgrade went up from last year from $3500 to $5000. I was pretty shocked. Also he said that it will not have to be done by the service dept as they have a guy who strictly does Ref 6 upgrades. as all parts are in stock and it will only take 14 days turn around time. 

128x128Ag insider logo xs@2xtattooedtrackman

I love ARC;however,it's not worth spending $5,000 for the upgrade to SE.Sound improvements will be small.

I have a Ref 6.  When I bought it the SE had just come out.  I thought then the premium for changed caps and some allegedly better pieces of wire was outrageous.  I wonder what differences would be heard in a blind listening test?

I have had a lot of respect for ARC over the years and bought many pieces, including an SP10 that I still have.  But I'm afraid this is taking the piss in a way that Mr Johnson never would have contemplated.  But commerce now is a lot more cynical and dishonest that when he got started in 1970.