Audio Research pre amp question

I'm about to venture into tubes for the first time. I have decided after trying out a AR VT 100 MKIII, that I am ready to give it a go. Even though I was using my exsisting solid state pre amp I still felt the thrill. I put on a Suzanne Ciani & the piano sounded so real. I have played this CD possible a hundered times & it was as if I was hearing it for the first time.

My question is which AR pre? I've read about the LS MKI, LS MII ( I understand a new tube is used) & the RM 25 MKII. The Reference 2 is not a consideration, not in the budget.

Some of my thoughts: Will the LS Mark II give me 80% of what the RM 25 MKII can do? Is the RM 25 MKII the only way to go if it in the budget? Does listening preferences dictate which unit to consider? Just don't know enough about these to make a decision.

Here's personal info: I listen to a lot of female vocals, blues, classic rock, country when I feel like it & a few specific jazz artist.

If you have any first hand experience with any of the AR pre's matched up with AR amps please share your knowledge.

Thanks,

Ron
ronkng
I have owned LS-25mk1's since they came out. Warm, musical, great soundstage- yet dynamic, transparent and detailed (with right tubes) all in the same package. Performs best when mated to an ARC amp. Will never sound solid state like when matched this way. Used with a less than ideal impedance match things change drastically. I'm using it with the new ARC 150.2-- can you say Holographic soundstage!
I'll second the LS5 - I have the mkii version
I have owned the LS2 and it is hard and grainy on the top end. I have done demos of the LS22 and 25 and ref1 on my home system - the ls 5 is clearly much more open, vibrant and engaging, no contest and well worth the extra money. You would have to go up to the ref 2 or the Bat pre Jfox suggests.

THe balanced inputs are no problem, I use a ph2 so I am balanced on my phono stage. I use adapter plugs on my cd front end and dvd player.

As for tubes - some nos telefunken's really make this preamp sound fabulous - check out fletch here on audiogon for the best vintage tubes, he sure did my system some good
As I had hoped to receive, great informative responses from all of you & thanks. I felt that anyone owning ARC products would be serious about there music. I am running balanced so the LS 5 would be no problem. At this point I am going to seek out the LS 5 & the 25. As to which series I or II depends on what is available to listen to with the rest of my components; at that point I'll let my ear's be the judge & pick one.