Audio research or Manley 300B pre amp for Upgrade

Dear: my respected fellow audiogon members,

After deciding on my speaker upgrade, I am now about to seek some improvement in my audio system. As currently using audio aero capitole mk2 source conected directly to my manley snapper monoblock, I was advised by some friends that I should instead add a Pre amp. However, as I read through some of other members discussion, I found out that there were pros and cons regarding the pre amp usage after the aero. Some opinions hold it strong against pre amp addition as it will alter the purity of signal coming out of the aero, whereas some others believe that by adding pre amp there will be more body to the music as well as depth and staging width improvement.

Now, that I have the choice to tryout for a pre amp, should I go for the Audio research pre such as ls27 or even the reference 5, or should I go simpler by using the single ended manley neo-classic 300B pre amp (which doesn't have the XLR connection).. I lean towards all genre of musics (country, jazz, classical, soft rock) with exception of hard musics..

Would anyone share with me some great expertise and wisdoms.. Thanks all..
jonathan_pp
Musicophile,
I agree, that`s a very good description of what a truly high quality active preamp will add to improve a system`s overall sound as compared to going the direct source-amp route.
Hi Jonathan,
I agree with a lot of what Charles and Musicphile say about a quality pre. My preferences not withstanding, I can see the benefit.
You are making some significant changes to your system (have your new speakers arrived yet?). With an opportunity to audition a couple of pre amps around the time I aquired my current Coincident speakers, I actually started getting confused with all the changes that I really didn't appreciate what the speakers were doing until I simplified my system.It is possible one day,I may go back to the Coincident Statement or another 101b tube based preamp. What was just needed was time for the system to settle before determining what each new component and cable was contributing to the sound.
I will say that my system has not had any significant change (other than my source)in the last two years and am VERY happy.

Regards,
Dear: Montejay

Thanks for the truthful approach, I think you are absolutely correct, I need to really settle with the new changes(speakers) first, and literally go step by step from there to really determine what is "right" for the entire set up. I agree with you that each new component would certainly bring up (or improve) the performance of the whole picture..I would go step by step..and see how each pre amp would behave in my set up...Great ideas..