Audio Research GS150 vs REF150 SE

Hi all. 
Has anyone compared those 2 units. Are they sonically identical. There are 10 GS for sale here on agon.
I am considering replacing my Classic 120 monos (modded by GNSC circa 2005) with either one.
My speakers are Verity Audio Parsifal Encore. An ARC dealer told me that I would be going sideways as the 120’s have more current “output” than the GS and REF which my Parsifal need. 

How do you determine the current output of a tube amp as manufacturers (tube or SS) do not spec those in their data sheet. Same dealer said to better my 120’s I should consider a stereo SS amp in the 200w/ch range or go with ARC REF250 SE. I can not sport the funds for the 250’s and would like to stay with tubes (fewer than the 120’s and 250’s) as I have a REF3 LE and REF2 phono (also modded by GNSC circa 2010).
Food for thought!!!
smoffatt

Showing 1 response by kalali

"How do you determine the current output of a tube amp as manufacturers (tube or SS) do not spec those in their data sheet"

The current delivered by an amplifier is a function of the load that the amplifier "sees" and is not a constant value. Some brands include peak to peak amp, etc., in their literature but its purely a marketing gimmick, in my opinion. The rule of thumb for an amplifier with a good current delivery, which is basically a function of a good power supply, is doubling the watts as the load is halved, 200wpc @ 8 ohms, 400 wpc @ 4 ohms, and down the line.