Audio Research D240 mkll vs Adcom GFA-555

Hey Folks, I currently have a modified Adcom GFA-555 but have the opportunity to purchase an Audio Research D240mkll. Will there be a significant increase in sound quality? Speakers are Sonus faber Chameleon B's and source is Tidal through a Project Pre Box S2 Digital (as preamp).
128x128ratboysr

Showing 2 responses by teo_audio

Nelson’s design of the 555 was just fine.

In production, how that was handled, in order to make for ’over the top reliability’, ease of build, ease of servicing, etc... and how all that was executed --- that is what resulted in a grainy amplifier.

Nelson’s job was the circuit design. The rest (AFAIK) was handled by whomever Adcom had do the rest. And that includes layout, fusing, chassis, etc. All of that had a major impact on Nelson’s supplied circuit.

Modding the 555 or the 5500 or any of the other adcoms... in a way that is centered around removing the built in obstacles to positive gains...generally has a very positive effect on the sound of the given Adcom. The individual modded amplifier will be fine, but as a production item (fully maxed out in all ways), as percentages of failures go...reliability would (and does) generally take a huge step backwards. So much of a step that it could easily make a company insolvent. And at times, it has happened. Extremism has its costs.

’Best sound quality’ and reliability in the long or sometimes even short term, do not normally fit together. Their demands for existing --are in opposite directions, in high end audio. I state it as an incontrovertible fact, in an imperial manner but there are a few exceptions.

The problem is that, if exception is given for that 2-3% of the best of the best, that actually DO exist... 110% of the companies out there will refer to themselves as the exception that is in that small few percent range.

Which is impossible, so +95% have to be full of it or ignorant of their own products limitations. Marketing, in all sensible guises and attempts, must never touch this, at any price.

Eg, ’CTC builders’, for Parasound, etc, each of the three people did a part of the final issued design, with aspects of all that controlled/directed by Parasound. CTC wanted performance, and Parasound wanted utter reliability, and reasonable projected price points being met. Which is why John Curl, afterward, supplied a huge amount of data to the DIY folks on turning the HCA-3500 into what CTC really wanted it to be. My guess is with Richard’s OK beforehand. So --much respect to Richard for allowing that.

In the end, it is the psychological positioning of the buyers that is at the heart of this scenario and how it has had to play out in the consumer marketplace for high end audio. The inability to understand the complexities that lie behind the curtain, and how they (the buyers and users) react to the given shadows on the wall...
I happen to think the ARC is just fine myself, having owned and happily used 2 different SS ARC amps in the past.

I was not specifically promoting the Adcom amps, re mods or whatnot, I was just covering the fact that not all amps are as they could be, or can be, due to the constraints of reality.

If I was to start with an unknown base amplifier, and then modify from there (all being equal), I would start with the ARC amp, not the Adcom.

But I would happily tinker with either brand of amplifier.

It is possible to make one sound better than the other and then keep working on each... and make each leapfrog the other in sound quality. Back and forth, back and forth...

As this is the main thing about most all amplifiers. Having seen the insides of almost any amp known to exist in the high end (nudie amplifier images abound all across the net), I will say that I have not yet seen an amplifier that could not benefit from a little intelligently applied TLC,  be it a $2k amp or a $100k one.

Point being, is that it is really..near impossible to say that one has a modded out Adcom, vs an ARC that is stock, and then get an opinion.

As the modification level or what was done to the Adcom, is an unknown except to that of the owner, but that the ARC is a known quality for at least some, as it is a known model with a known stock condition and sound quality. That the modded Adcom is an X that no one here outside of the owner of it can quantity and weigh against.

It is a good question, but it is lopsided for all but the OP... and we cannot help solve it.