Audio Research Classic 150

Fellow audiogoners, I can't find anything about this amp anywhere on the internet aside from a few technical details. I found some opinions/reviews on the Classic 60 but not this pair of amps. I am considering pulling the trigger on a pair but am nervous because of age of these (ca.1989?) Is this still worth pursuing? Are these good amps? (Sorry for the sweeping generalization-type question but - I'll take any opinions at this point) Thanx in advance.
pawlowski6132

Showing 1 response by audioresearchkid

im currently using a cl 150 and im quite happy w/ the performance of this amps driving my snell type A2 speakers. i find them more tube sounding than both my D79B one w/ 6550a output tube the other w/ kt88s, and also in comparison to my D250 mk2 servo.they sound musical w/ incredible imaging.the only problem is it goes to some sort of auto shut down ( i think its related to the tube saver circuit but im not sure about this) when the amp clips or when there is a sudden surge or spike in the power line.i use to bash the classic series amps when they 1st came out during the early 90s specially when they were using chinese 6550s. but when russian 6550s were use they sounded very good and i swallowed my pride and bought this flagship.currently using an arc sp10 mk2 to drive my amps.
theyre reliable and dont have regrets.