audio reseach ref 3 or krell KTC...?

Hello all,

I would like to know if any of you has ever compared these two preamps. I have never heard the Krell KTC but I read very good reviews about it. I will be very grateful if you could be so kind to share your personal opinions with me.

Thank you very much for your time

Salvo
salvo
Hello all,

I would like to know if any of you has ever compared these two preamps. I have never heard the Krell KTC but I read very good reviews about it. I will be very grateful if you could be so kind to share your personal opinions with me.

Thank you very much for your time

Salvo
I never heard Krell KTC but I know some other Krell pre-amps. Audio Research I heard this year in London on the HiFi Show. It was a presentation of about one hour. It played in the Audio Research Ref system with Watt Puppies 8.

Audio Research Ref 3 has these "new" russian 6H30P tubes inside (BAT's Khomenko brought them to the HiFi world) and they sound really neutral. This is one of the reasons why this Audio Research pre-amp is seen as probably something the best that can be bought for money. If you have that kind of cash, you cannot go wrong with this pre-amp.

Krells are good but in slightly different way. Very precise, normally very analytical ... But again - I haven't heard KTC ...
Yes, I had both home and wen't with the Evo 202 as a replacement for my KCT. ARC is amzing and full but still has a tube signature..akin to a Monet' painting! KCT and especially evo 202 is very close but without the tube signature..i.e. slight sense of something between the music and the listener..ever so slight. Can't go wrong with either..matching the system and the cabling is everything however.