Audio Kinesis Swarm Subwoofer Awarded 2019 Golden Ear Award by Robert E. Greene

Recognizing member and contributor @audiokinesis for this award!!!

http://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/2019-golden-ear-awards-robert-e-greene/
david_ten
Luisma31 wrote: "...no no no, with your midbass driver I think the 80 hz works wonderful, actually I run mine 60 below, don’t you dare touch my crossover Duke, sounds perfect the way it is." 

Thank you Luis! 

I was referring to the hypothetical situation where an 80 Hz crossover was not high enough.

One time we were integrating a Swarm with a system that was horn loaded down to 80 Hz, but it turned out that the response started rolling off at about 150 Hz and then the rolloff accelerated below 80 Hz. So we placed two Swarm units near the main speakers and drove them with one amplifier and rolled them off at about 140 Hz, and then the other two were placed much further from the main speakers and were rolled off around 60 Hz. We used the parametric EQ’s to fine-tune the blending.

Something like that would be the work-around if the crossover needed to be higher than 80 Hz. 

Duke

I understand very interesting, just the subs closer to the speakers at 140 (because the listener been able to pinpoint their location) and the other 2 at 80 to make it sound more natural, very cleverI guess speakers that are weak between 80 and 140 are not very common or is it?
"I guess speakers that are weak between 80 and 140 are not very common ..." 

I agree, not very common. This was the only such case I have been involved with. 

Duke
Here’s what a wrote on my first post on this thread:
" Congratulations again on your extremely well deserved awards, Duke and James. I highly recommend the 4-sub DBA concept and system to anyone wanting sota bass response in their systems and rooms. Since these systems will work seamlessly with any main speakers, you’ll never need to buy another sub system again, even if you switch main speakers or use very fast planar-magnetic or electrostatic main speakers.
I’ve stated this many times before but it’s the honest truth; I’m constantly surprised that more individuals don’t know about how effective DBAs are and that more don’t use one, especially members of a high quality audio site."

I just confirmed the part I stated about " these systems will work seamlessly with any main speakers, you’ll never need to buy another sub system again, even if you switch main speakers or use very fast planar-magnetic or electrostatic main speakers."
I just bought a pre-owned pair of Magnepan 3.7i speakers from a local shop and traded in my almost 25 year old pair of Magnepan 2.7QR speakers that were still going strong and sounding good.
I just had to connect the 3.7is, position them about 8’ apart from each other, with a slight toe-in and the true ribbon tweeter sections on the inside to optimize the mid/treble and dial in the imaging at my listening seat about 12’ away and I was all set.
The only thing I needed to adjust on my Audio Kinesis Debra 4-sub DBA system was to slightly decrease the volume and crossover frequency settings on the supplied sub amp/control unit and the bass seamlessly integrated with the 3.7i just as it did with the 2.7QR.
All 4 subs remain in their exact same positions and there’s still no bass room treatments or room correction software/hardware utilized. I’m fairly certain the AK Swarm or Debra 4-sub DBA systems would still provide excellent in-room bass response and seamless integration regardless of the main speakers I chose and whether or not I changed rooms. Although I do concede I’d likely need to start anew in sequentially positioning each of the 4 subs and setting the control settings to optimize the bass performance if I’d chosen to utilize traditional dynamic main speakers.
Just thought readers would like to know that claims of the 4-sub DBA concept working equally well with any pair of main speakers and in virtually any room are not exaggerations.

Thanks,
Tim
Hello Hans,

I was just wondering how you're progressing on your Swarm system in your office.

Thanks,
   Tim