Audio Kinesis Swarm Subwoofer Awarded 2019 Golden Ear Award by Robert E. Greene

Recognizing member and contributor @audiokinesis for this award!!!

http://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/2019-golden-ear-awards-robert-e-greene/
david_ten
Hello Hans,

I remember we previously discussed the Swarm system in another post.
    What's the reason for wanting the subs positioned up near the ceiling?  Are you unable to locate the 4 subs on the floor facing the nearest wall around the perimeter walls of your room?   

Thanks,
  Tim
Hi Tim,

Yes, I just couldn’t figure a way to situate 4 subs on the floor in my small office. So I didn’t place the order.

Then I saw the thread where Duke mentioned positioning subs up near the ceiling.

I spoke with Duke for a while about this. He explained, among other things (wow you can get a college education on one phone call with Duke!!) that this would help with distribution in the vertical plane. Still tripping up on the terminology/jargon but beginning to understand more.

We also talked about placing one sub under each of the main speakers and the other two facing up near the ceiling.

Even better!

This way, with two subs up high, the ones on the floor will not take up any additional space since the main speakers will be over them anyway.

I then placed an order for the Swarm in black finish.

Will probably reach out to you when they arrive for set up advice.

Hans

You can debate the merits of The Swarm concept, or you can just come to Room Monroe at this weekend's Capital Audiofest in Rockville MD (just outside Washington DC) and hear it for yourself.  Gingko Audio Sextet is a collaboration project between AudioKinesis and Gingko Audio, with customs cabinets made by Salk. We will show you how you can grow from a pair of two-way monitors to a 6-piece system by adding up to four subs strategically to a full-range system.You can debate until the cows come home but hearing is believingVinh VuGingko Audio
Hello Hans,

I wish I could help you more but I have no experience or knowledge about positioning them anywhere but on the floor.  

I remember your room is a rather small office. I'm picturing your room with your chair backing to the middle of one wall on one side of your room with your desk right in front of your chair.  I'm guessing your speakers are along the opposite wall you're facing when seated at your desk chair.  
    If this is close to true, I'd suggest placing one sub under each speaker along the front wall (the one you're facing from behind your desk). Then locate the other 2 face up toward the ceiling above your desk near the corners (about 2' away from the corner). I'd suggest along the right and left side walls would probably work best. If not, along the wall behind your chair might also work well.
     I believe the import point is to have them positioned well dispersed and not too close to each other.  Please fell free to reach out to me as much as you'd like.  I'm retired, usually have the time and sincerely want to help you as much as I can.  I just wish I had more knowledge and experience positioning them off the floor optimally.  Unfortunately, you may need to do some experimentation to get it right but you should definitely and clearly notice when you do. 
     I know it's difficult placing temporary shelves to even experiment but I don't know of an alternative method. I'll try and assist you as much as I'm able to.

Tim
Hleeid : 
you say two subs under and then two aiming at the ceiling . Where on the ceiling . Above the speakers ? At the back corners ? Please advise .