Audio Alchemy Nostalgia Trip

Back in the early/mid 90s I started my Hifi journey. I was a single guy, no responsibility, decent job and disposable income.

Having heard a friend's Naim Classic/Linn/Epos set up, I was hooked and off I went.

Not long after, I was the proud owner of a Naim Olive bi-amped system,with an Arcam Alpha CD transport and the Audio Alchemy DDE v.1.0. with Epos 11 speakers. Absolutely loved that system.

Roll forward half a decade or so later, I was married, new house that needed work - my beloved system was sacrificed and sold 🥴

That was the end of my Hifi journey part 1!

Forward to 2021, one divorce later, new partner, soon to be wife after 14 years. I jumped back in to my Hifi journey. My system continues to evolve, but I carried an itch with me from those good old days in my 20s; one was Naim, which I've scratched and moved on from. The second was the Audio Alchemy DAC

Ive been keeping an eye on fleabay for a decent working until with it's original power supply - last week I found one for £57 delivered.

Plugged it into my system, reduced sampling via Roon 🤪 and off I went.

I know audio memory is very unreliable, but I had tears welling up listening to tracks I was back then. What a trip! Lovely, lovely sounding DAC from a by-gone age.

Sorry for the long-winded post, but I have been so moved hearing this unit (again), I felt the urge to share

Thanks for reading guys 👍🙂

128x128painter24

I had the same AA with a Marantz 67SE as my first real playback. They make new gear again.

I also started with Audio Alchemy back in the 90's for my digital front end. I also had a Audio Research Classic 60 and some Vandersteen speakers. Audio Alchemy was way ahead of their time with their DACs back then. 

For my two headphone amplifiers (FOCAL "ARCHE" & SENNHEISER HDVD800) I use my vintage Quad 67 CD players. To the Senn amp I use the digital out and for the FOCAL it's the RCA out. Quad 67's display counts down so you always know when a track is close to finishing. I've always wondered why ALL transports don't count down.  Any reason for this ?  

Hi, 

I have access to a mint Pro32 w/schematic and manual, if interested.