Atmasphere ma1,VTL mb250, Jolida JD 3000

Anyone have a opinion on either of these amps; I am considering them to drive a pair of soundlab m2's.
I want to try the OTL experience and my homework tells me that the ma1's are a grest match for the m2's; however I am having a hard time with the 140 watts vs 200 plus watts
issue, I think the m2's would perform better with higher power amps.
Auditioning is not possible as they are on the used market.
rleff

Showing 1 response by bpwalsh

The impedance of current Sound Lab models, namely the PX series, is being measured by Roger West at this time. I requested it since we are looking at a large installation which may involve driving more than one speaker from an amplifier, possibly Atma-Sphere. When the impedance curves are developed I will try to make them available.

Amplifier power output ratings are nominal only, especially when driving difficult loads. I have had 100 watt amps drive the U-1s here well, while 250 watt amps fell flat on their faces. Interestingly, both were tube amps with output transformers. The speaker load is a challenge for any amplifier, whether tube or solid state. Amps with robust power supplies tend to do better. Not all OTLs are necessarily well suited to drive big ESLs like Sound Labs, either.

Disclaimer: I'm a Sound Lab and Atma-Sphere dealer.

Brian