asus stxII with sparkos discrete opamps

Hi And thanks for reading this thread.
Just replaced the stock muse opamps in my asus stxII soundcard with sparkos discrete opamps, and it sounds awful.
The muses are so much better.
I heard something about 100 hours burn in time is required for the sparkos, it will have to be a big improvment to warrant keeping them.
Have you heard anything about this. What is the difference in sound quality with muses compared to sparkos. Is it a subtle difference or something more profound.
Thanks!
johnny121

Showing 7 responses by johnny121

I have found plenty of posts comparing sparkos against burson audio opamps, but nothing concerning muses vs sparkos.

What is your opinion of the muse opamp, it is expensive but is it audiophool expensive, or genuinely high performance.

Usually when i upgrade components, if the new component is better i can hear it straight away, so am not a big fan of the burn in theory.
Might be something to it, or maybe not. What do you think
Thanks!
Do you know of any opamp which is sharp sounding. On the asus soundcard there is a lack of treble which may be because of the muse opamps and their slow slew rate as you rightly mentioned.Is it possible to replace the muses with a different opamp which may overcome this lack of treble problem, something which is a more sharper sound
Thanks so much for the recommendation. I finally got the 827’s through soldered onto adaptors, sounds really good. A dark kind of sound, detailed, strong bass.
While i was waiting for the 827’s, and after doing some searching, I played around with the stock 8920 x 2 in the i/v, and the 8820 in the buffer.
The treble was muffled.
But when the 8820’s were switched around into the i/v and the 8920 was moved into the buffer, there was no more muffled treble.The treble muffling of the 8820’s was only there when placed in the buffer, not in the i/v.So does this mean that the characteristics of the opamp in the buffer dominates. That i can shove any old opamp in the i/v, but the buffer one must be of high quality to allow the correct sound signature to come through. It might save me a lot of money in the future to use cheap, readily available opamps as long as they do not degrade the sound.
Many thanks
Do you think a possible reason may be that slow slew rates result in poor treble in the buffer section, but may be advantageous to bass and midrange.
Thanks!
Sorry, got a little lost, my knowledge is not as good as yours.

Are you saying that a slow slew rate may be advantageous in the i/v position and a fast slew rate may be advantageous in the buffer.
With the stock configuration of 8820 in the buffer and 8920's in the i/v the bass and mid are both excellent, the treble is reduced with poor detail.
With 8920 in the buffer and 8820 in the i/v the treble detail has returned, but the quality of the mid and bass has lowered, does not have that warm tube like sound of stock.
Am trying to undersand why this is happening, trying to get the best of both configurations but struggling.
Thanks!
Hi. Thanks for the suggestion of the bursons. I will keep them very much in mind.
Do you know of any opamps with a very high gain. My soundcard is 7.1 and the bass output is a little on the low side so want to boost it without having to resort to eq, thought changing the opamp for the bass channel may help with this boosting.
Thanks.