As file resolution goes up sound level goes down?

I've downloaded files (e.g., HDTracks) in various resolutions and I've noticed something strange. I'm getting sound level differences between files of different resolutions.

For example, my Turntable front end has plenty of gain, but when I switch to CD I have to turn up the volume a little more to get the same level. If I play 96kHz/24-bit files I need to turn it up even more. Finally, I just got Marley's Legend in 192kHz/24-bit, and I have to turn it up even further.

This reminds me of when I play a Chesky record, I have to turn things up. What's up?
kennythekey

Showing 2 responses by swanny76109

I have noticed this too. I think it is because these files use much greater dynamic range. They are not as compressed as standard redbook files or CDs that you are used to listening too, where the overall level is mastered higher and closer to clipping (0 db) output. Perhaps someone with more technical or professional recording background can fill us in more?
Maybe get a DAC with adjustable gain or higher output? Or, a pre with more gain? Or, would a step up transformer help increase output between your DAC and pre? My Bel Canto DAC3 puts out 4.5 v via XLR, so I get plenty of gain no matter the source.