As A Youngster, What Unit Puqued Your Interest In All This?

I figure a lot of us here started hearing music through stand-up furniture stereos and/or composite units (mine was a Craig tt, receiver, 8-track). Then, one day I saw and listened to my cousin’s Pioneer Spec amps (with equalizer and oscilloscope) supporting a Beogram 4004. He also had a Teac R2-D2, but it was the 4004 that had the ever-lasting magnetic effect. What piece of equipment got you?

nicholsr

Showing 1 response by ross6860

I had the same Craig "all-in-one" or similar to the OP's.  TT, 8-track, and tuner.  My parents got it for me when I was 14.  It lasted through college where I was exposed to real gear.  Had a few ex-GI buddies that brought back killer systems from the mid-late 70s.

Before that, I had a steel needle POS but it played records.  Good enough for a 5-year old...

My folks had a TV "console" unit with a TT and tuner, and a stand-alone "record player".

My first bonus check in 1981 went for a Technics receiver and linear tracker paired with EPI speakers.  I was surprised the cartridge and stylus cost as much as the TT.  I still have the receiver, TT and that Stanton cartridge still sounds good.