Are CD players dead

I went to an audiophile meeting today and the owner of the store said Cd's and cd players are dead. He said you need to start learning about computer audio or you will be left behind. Is what he is saying true?
taters

Showing 1 response by davide256

my two cents from someone who swore by LP's up to 2001 because CD's and players made until then gave me the same sensation when listening as having my teeth drilled by the dentist.

1)Digital is getting very close to LP's, doesn't degrade with repeat playing and you don't have to flip sides every 25 minutes
2) computer audio without asynch USB support to DAC is disappointing compared to a good CD player
3) computer audio with asynch USB and a good DAC should surpass a CD player at 44.1 khz...no more transport issues
4) Computer audio has no rip options for discs above 44.1 khz... DVD and SACD are user unfriendly

So I'd say yes 44.1 khz only players will die out but multi media players will linger until disc makers relent and rip options become available.

As to hard media... I'd bet many are willing to pay for the hard copy as a backup strategy.

Long live wav.... I'll pass on flac.