Are Carver Preamps Any Good?

Just wondering?

There are so many versions of Carver preamps and preamp/tuners for sale. They always seem to sell. Are they really any good?...or are they just a popular product with so-so sound? Are they like a Rotel or NAD?

Seems like their products change hands regularly. So, what are there better products, if they have any?
128x128mjcmt
I owned a carver pre/tuner in the 1980's and it was the the poorest part of my system, which also included a carver amp, which was good for the money. I moved to a sonic frontiers preamp and it was great. Stay away from carver tuners.
depends what you mean by good, for the price they'll stomp anything out there but it depends what you're running in the system and how good you want it to be! If you have a system say under 3500.00 including your speakers you can run your pre out of a carver multi channel receiver and you would be surprised how good of sound you will get !
Carver's big claims to fame were it's amazingly powerful amps for the money and the truly Amazing Loudspeakers.
An old amp like the TFM-35 was seriously powerful and fairly musical, but it took a non-Carver pre-amp to get the most out of it.
Those huge Carver ribbon speakers were hard to find room for, but when properly set up (rare), could rival many speakers costing thousands more. We had a pair sitting next to B&W 801's and several good Magnepans of the day, and the Carvers didn't just hold their own, they did better on tons of material.
But pre-amps? Nope....there are MANY good cheap old SS pre's out there that are better.
Name them. imo, the Carver C-16 pre was way better than any equal priced produce from NAD, Rotel, Proton, Adcom, Audio Source, MTX/Soundcraftsman etc.
The pre has a complex tone control section that was more like an eq and works well for subtal changes and a loudness control for bass at low volume levels which was rare on most preamps. It also has a full phono stage which may be of use for the vinal revival crowd.
The Carver Sonic Holograpy was a good idea and did work if you took the time to set the speakers up right. The preamp would be right at home with products that are in the same $$$ leauge. I agree, it is not high end, but okay for $200.
The C-16 is kind of rare so I would get one to just try it.