Are audiophiles still out of their minds?

I've been in this hobby for 30 years and owned many gears throughout the years, but never that many cables.  I know cables can make a difference in sound quality of your system, but never dramatic like changing speakers, amplifiers, or even more importantly room treatment. Yes, I've evaluated many vaunted cables at dealers and at home over the years, but never heard dramatic effect that I would plunk $5000 for a cable. The most I've ever spent was $2700 for pair of speaker cables, and I kinda regret it to this day.  So when I see cable manufacturers charging 5 figures for their latest and "greatest" speaker cables, PC, and ICs, I have to ask myself who buys this stuff. Why would you buy a $10k+ cable, when there are so many great speakers, amplifiers, DACs for that kind of money, or room treatment that would have greater effect on your systems sound?  May be I'm getting ornery with age, like the water boy says in Adam Sandler's movie.
dracule1

Showing 3 responses by asp307

@whart I find it amusing and ironic to bargain shop parts for a Lambo although I'm sure I would do the same thing. 
I'm with @wattsperchannel on this...@dracule1 comes off as whiny.  

I have no qualms if you want to put $70K in your retirement plan. I also don't mind if you want to spend $70K on cables; whatever blows your hair back.. 

To me, there is a clear difference here and this is not the same type of spend. One is an investment and the other is discretionary spend. Currently there's a pair of Nordost Valhalla 2's for sale here asking $14,340 ($35,850 original price.) I highly doubt audiophiles are in it for the investment...

Furthermore, who care about what people make on this thread. Be happy for those that have financial freedom as well as those working toward it. As much as I'm turned off by people that constantly brag about what they have which to me is a very 'new money' thing to do, I am equally or possibly even more so turned off by people that state "I don't have that type of money" or "I can't afford that." I find it off putting and a bad look.

And please...let's not start talking about what classes we took in high school as a means to somehow qualify our chops... 
"And please...let’s not start talking about what classes we took in high school as a means to somehow qualify our chops..."
Who ever talked about high school classes? From what I can tell, most people have college and post graduate degrees here. Are you saying these science and engineering degrees have absolutely no bearing on what qualifies someone to give there opinions?

Not sure if you actually use your chemistry degree for your livelihood or if you are too busy channeling your inner Llobet but I haven't seen much detailed feedback from you on why these cables aren't worth their price. Have you A/B tested a wide range of cables in various set-ups? What steps have you taken to deduce a cable isn't worth 'X' amount? Or is your opinion formed on your own set of circumstances and what you find to be unacceptable because of the price tag it wields? We agree that we both feel that prices are substantial and over the top so it's not all disagreement. But what I find over the top is acceptable to someone else. 

"I’m with @wattsperchannel on this...@dracule1 comes off as whiny." 
And you’re not? Get real.

We disagree here. I am genuinely happy for people and their success by however they measure it (healthy kids, meaningful job, financial freedom, totally awesome hi-fi..ahah.. etc.) I guess I'm just not sure why you speak down to the "filthy rich" the way you are as if it's a negative to be financially successful...what purpose does that serve? Hence, it sounds whiny...