Are audiophile products designed to initially impress then fatigue to make you upgrade?

If not why are many hardly using the systems they assembled, why are so many upgrading fairly new gear that’s fully working? Seems to me many are designed to impress reviewers, show-goers, short-term listeners, and on the sales floor but once in a home system, in the long run, they fatigue users fail to engage and make you feel something is missing so back you go with piles of cash.

128x128johnk

Showing 2 responses by jbl-4345

Is that what we blame it on. (Fatigued). That is why I have about 6 to 10 different sets of audio systems. I do not have deep pockets but in 25 years or more I was able to aquire my share of equipment.  Every system I own it has its own distinctive sound performance.  Will I ever buy a new power amplifier or preamp  I wouldn't say never but the last 4 years I spent my money of custom subs for some of my systems.  Trying to tweak by adding a single 18 inch sub to one system and a isobaric dual 18 inch subs to another system. My speakers hf drivers consist of paper cone- titanium dome- amt and berellium drivers. As far as the manufacturers and stereo salesman they will never stop making or selling audio equipment. 

To answer your questions NO.  It's funny how we in the audio industry has change so much from the 60s 80s to now. We went from tone controls to without and now tone controls are coming back. We went from ten inch to 15 inch woofers then to 6 inch to eight inch woofers. The sub woofer even came into play. Different cabinet design shape and sizes.  Book shelf speakers. Hell it's a new speaker coming out and the cabinet has a layer of alligator skin on it. I am not knocking none of this I am just trying to say there is a lot of audio equipment out there you have to know what type of music you mostly listen to and what speaker perform the best to your ears and a long or short period of time. That could be a fun and interesting journey.  There is plenty types of speaker designs to choose from. Horn design  dome tweeter paper cone tweeter amt the list goes on and on. I have personally have five different types of speakers set in my home because they all have there areas where they shine. Just remember what sounds darn good to YOUR ears..