Arcam vs. B&K

hello, all. I am considering a receiver around 20K. And the names that came up most often in this price range are Arcam and B&K. Which one is better? I am using JMLab 9 seires speakers as main and surrounds in a 27 sqaure meter room. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
fansofmusic

Showing 2 responses by turk944

A couple of the big differences between the S1 and the S2 is that the S2 has 3 notch filters (for setting up room calibration) where the S1 only has 1. Also, the S1 did not do a very good job of describing how to set up these filters. But pretty much, you find frequencies in your room that are overexagerated (I used a simple SPL meter and plotted the output of every frequency in Excel to see where the peaks were. Then you just find the peaks, and set up the notch filters to cancel out these peaks (same frequency range, opposite signal peak). And I believe these can be set to bring up frequencies that are deficient in you setup as well.

The other upgrade you probably won't care about because it has to do with transcoding any imput to component video. It does not "up-convert" because there is no processing in the resolution, it just sends the video signal out over the component video jacks.

Also the remote ROCKS!!

Hope this helps.
Oh yea, one other thing I didn't think of. You can use a spectrum analyzer to get your room's response. But these machines run about $1200 I think. If you have a friend with one, it would greatly cut down on your time. Being a college student with no access to that kind of money or equipment, it didn't occur to me, then again, not everyone on here is in my situation. Hope this helps.

Dave