Arcam CD23 worth saving?

Hi Guys, apologies if this has been asked before but wondered what your thoughts are on whether the CD23 is worth repairing... It's already had a genuine sony laser optic fitted but has now started making a grating noise half way through a cd so I'm a bit disillusioned with it now. I love the sound of it but things have moved on in the DAC world in the last 10 years so I'm not sure if it's worth shelling out again to get it fixed. It's currently on its' way to a high end audio shop in the UK for an estimate but I'm thinking perhaps it's time to just give up the ghost and buy a transport and DAC combo...

128x128cafedelmike

OK well I've no idea if they can or whether he was mistaken that parts are still available so who knows. If it has to be binned after spending on postage and new optical I'll be a bit upset but I'm sure it wouldn't have been intentional. I'll just get them to send it back and see if I can fix it myself 

Arcam FMJ CD23T has simple but effective commands: basic transport buttons and forward/reverse through the track, that is all. This design has been kept until today. The display is green, good but really nothing special in terms of some Sony/Philips monster displays with so many information in so many different colors. On the other side, it contains music calendar, a fine addition. Unfortunately, the display shows it’s age and the calendar is the first to go, as you can see in the picture. TellTims

I can't see any picture on my smartphone unfortunately but I get what you mean. I've had a response from Deco audio and they say they can't find anything wrong with it which is very frustrating because the grating noise was very obvious to me and loud enough to ruin the music at lower volumes. I'm waiting for them to get back to me again in a few days after further testing but I can't see why transportation would have cured it but you never know.

its been a wonderful player over the years and I'll be sad if its not fixed after all this but such is life. I've got my eye on an audiolab 6000cdt if it's terminal. I've got several different dacs to play with but none have that cd23 smoothness!