ARC VT100MkII

I'd appreciate if any of the VT100MkII owners can share their thoughts about this amp.

I am considering this amplifier.
It will be run via balanced cables with the rest of my ARC components - LS-25MkI preamp and CD3MkII cd player.

Cabling is Acoustic Zen Silver RefII from CD3MkII to LS-25 and Matrix RefII from LS-25 to amp. Speaker cables are Acoustic Zen Satori Shotgun.

Questions I have about the VT100MkII amp:
1) What is its sonic signature? Is it relaxed, laid back, forward?

2) How hot does this amplifier get?

3) How audible is the fan noise from about 7-8 feet away at low volume listening?

4) Will it manage to drive my B&W N803 speakers?

5)Any issues such as reliability aside from re-tubing?

I listen mostly to rock, blues, jazz and some classical. I like natural, dynamic presentation, but not harsh, analytical or forward sounding. Imaging and soundstaging is important. Good bass is a MUST.

I have listened to this amplifier before and the only think I remember is that I really liked it but it was long time ago and it was driving speakers that are easier on amplifiers than my N803s are.

Thanks very much for your thoughts!
128x128audphile1

Showing 2 responses by bmotorcycle

The "sonic signature" can be perceived quite differently for each person, I found the ARC amps to be natural.

The amp can radiate a lot of heat, they don't feel hot to the touch because of the fans, but, the can/will warm up a small to midsize room.

The fan noise is not an issue, you won't hear the fans after a couple of feet distance.

Not familiar with your speakers so to tell you sure, buy the amp and than they not work would be irresponsible.

ARC equipment is one of the reliable and durable amp/pre-amps one can buy. They will service every piece they have ever made and most are still in service. Retubing on the VT100MKII should be done by a certified ARC tech. This amp is not user friendly. Enclosed is an attachment that explains how to do it. You will have to decide whether you want to tackle this job.

http://mycollins.net/audio/artube1.html

I have used ARC equipment for years and I have become quite found of their products...........Bob
I truly hate when someone asks about a certain piece of equipment, in your case an Audio Research VT100 mkII, and a response comes back, well have you considered a BAT, or a Cary, or conrad johnson, that being said, have you considered the ARC VS110. It obviously has the Audio Research sound, a little more power, much more user friendly and no fan noise. Unfortunately they are more expensive but I thought I would throw it out there. Now I will go and beat myself up for even suggesting an alternative.............Bob