ARC VT-100 MK II vs. Sonic Frontiers Power 2

Have you had experience A/Bing these two amps? I have the VT-100 Mk II and like it, but it is rather user unfriendly for biasing, especially the input tubes.

The Power 2 is a 110 pd. beast, with every function for friendliness one could want. However, some people feel it is solid state-ish, not as detailed, smaller images, lacking the best bass.

Please give your experience with these pieces, especially with B&W's, or other dynamic speakers.
kevziek

Showing 3 responses by nameci

I have owned VT-100MKII and currently have SF Power 2.
SF Power 2, with stock tubes(Svetlana 6550Cs and Sovtek 6922s), sounds very neutral and does not have the warmth of VT-100MKII. But with different tubes, KT88s and other NOS 6922(such as Amprex, Phillips, Valvo, or Siemens) SF Power 2 sounds like a completely different amp, you will be rewarded greatly. It will bring the warmth of VT-100MKII along with more refined bass with better details/accuracy along whole frequency than ARC VT-100MKII.

Also I have experienced SF Power 2 being a lot less fussy and more reliable than VT-100MKII(retubing VT-100MKII is a whole story itself). ARC preamp works very well with SFP2 as well. If you are considering SFP2, make sure to select tubed preamp.
I have sold my ARC VT-100MKII once I retubed my SF Power 2 with KT88s(I have a set of Svetlana and a set of JJ Tesla) along with Philips 6922s(I have Valvo set put a way).
Kevziek,

Have you changed your input tubes?(6922 tubes). Sovtek 6922s are known to lack details in high frequency. Also are you using the SF Power 2 in Balanced mode or Single ended mode? What preamp?
I'm not finding lacking high frequency detail and air on my SF Power 2. Actually it is sometimes too detailed on some of the music(with the music recorded too bright).
Kevziek,

I have tried a bunch of KT88s and 6922s and some were pretty decent and others were not worth trying.

I'm now using Phillips 6922s with Svet KT88s for every day use. I have used Valvo 6922s with Svet KT88s for about 2-3 months and they are put away(saving them).

Definitely try tube rolling 6922s(since you already have KT88s, what brand are they? hope they are not Sovtek). There are 6 of them on Power 2's so start with reasonably priced NOS like Amprex or JAN Phillips(make sure to get JAN version). Also if your preamp is tubed and use 6922, try to match them with same brand 6922s as your amp.

I definitely recommend balanced operation on both SF Power 2 and VT-100. SF will give you slighly more extended in frequency with more details(which some people call "it solid state like"). VT-100 sounds warmer in single ended mode.

SF Power 2, tube rolling is a piece of cake. With VT-100, be careful.