ARC VT-100 MK II vs. Sonic Frontiers Power 2

Have you had experience A/Bing these two amps? I have the VT-100 Mk II and like it, but it is rather user unfriendly for biasing, especially the input tubes.

The Power 2 is a 110 pd. beast, with every function for friendliness one could want. However, some people feel it is solid state-ish, not as detailed, smaller images, lacking the best bass.

Please give your experience with these pieces, especially with B&W's, or other dynamic speakers.
kevziek

Showing 1 response by garfish

Hi K; I'll follow your thread with interest as I have not heard the VT 100 MK II, but would like too. I bought the Power 2 and used it for about 30 days in my system about a year ago. The Power 2 does tend toward neutral/accurate rather than "tubey" or euphonic. I thought it had a nice clear, non-fatiguing mid-range, but kind of soft bass. Soundstaging was OK, but not spectacular. But then I was comparing it to my long time standard McCormack DNA-2DX amp (now Rev. A).

The DNA-2DX is very fast with excellent bass (and mid-range too), and when I put the McCormack back in my system, it was "no contest"-- I preferred the DNA amp in all important aspects. That said, the Power 2 was a pleasant non-fatiging amp to listen with, and as I have an SF Line 2 pre-amp, I expected there would be good synergy between the Line 2 and Power 2. I'll be interested in seeing comments from those who have heard both the tube amps you ask about. Cheers. Craig