ARC VSi75SE v. MF Nu-Vista 800

I have an offer to purchase either an Audio Research VSi75SE or a Musical Fidelity Nu-Vista 800 at roughly the same price, new-in-box.  But there's no way for me to audition either in-person beforehand.  Does anybody have an opinion, based on first-hand experience, comparing the two components' sound quality?

These integrateds would be powering a pair of Harbeth C7-ES3 speakers with a MartinLogan sub.  They'll also do double-duty powering the front channels of a home theater, and will be connected to non-TV digital sources by a DAC/streamer, maybe a HiFi Rose.

Functionality issues make either candidate a compromise.  E.g., the ARC has no HT bypass, headphone jack, or sub out, and family members will give me grief about tube warm-up when they just want to watch TV.  And the Harbeths, despite a nominal 25wpc spec, would definitely benefit from the Nu-Vista's 300wpc.  OTOH, the MF has all the connectivity I need, but it's big and heavy, which will present problems in my room (and to my elderly back).

I'll work all that out, one way or the other, but rght now, my threshold issue is sonics.  I realize that both companies have distinct "house sounds" so I'd love to hear from anyone with first-hand experience comparing the two.

Thanks.

cundare2

@arafiq

Actually what you say is completely consistent with the performance of these amps… for with someone who values lively detailed sound. Luxman would be perfect for you. Your comments on the Pass INT 25 sound right on, it is not that high a power so the Pass INT 60 would provide more solid sound. The ARC would sound a bit dead to you because it does not have the sparkle of the Luxman. Audio Research folks are looking for the natural musical perspective, and it delivers that (at an incredibly low cost).

arafiq: I’ve spoken to others who found the 25wpc Pass gear more than adequate for mid-sized Harbeths, but again, the devil is in the details. Can you give us an idea of the size of your room, listening levels, etc. when you found the INT-25 to be underpowered?

E.g., Was your experience closer to playing string quartets at moderate volume in an 8x10 room or blasting Black Sabbath at realistic volume levels in a 30x25x8 room?

Just trying to put things into perspective, since I’m about to purchase a simiilar amp for my Harbeth C7s without the ability to audition the gear before buying.

Hi cundare2- I have a couple of vsi75s paired with Proac 1sc bookshelves and d48 floor standers.  I recently auditioned the i50 prior to picking up the second vsi75.  Tonality was similar but I thought the vsi75 was more resolving and capable.  Sound quality aside, the other issue with the i50 was that it appeared to be manual bias only, whereas the vsi75 has individual bias for each kt150 that can be adjusted quite easily with the included plastic screwdriver.  Hope that helps and good luck with the search. 

classicalreflections:  So you're saying that the biasing procedure is much simpler on the VSi  than on the i/50?  You don't have to open up the chassis, clamp probes onto a resistor, etc.?

@ghdprentice To be clear, my comments were specific to the i/50. It’s in a very competitive price bracket and I don’t think it’s a particularly good value given some other tube integrateds in the same ballpark. Apart from that, I am a huge fan of the Audio Research sound. I have owned VSi75 and GSi75 in the past and enjoyed them. But, IMO, the real magic starts at and above units retailing for > $15K.

I also love their preamps and consider them to be some of the best you can buy regardless of price. In fact, I might be getting the Ref 6SE in the near future.

Having said that, Audio Research doesn’t have a monopoly on ’natural musical perspective’, and neither are the AR owners the only ones who understand natural music :) There are many ways to get there.