ARC Ref 3: Tung-Sol 6550 in power supply?

I have sourced a new production Tungsol 6550 from The Tube Store in Hamilton (Ontario); I intend to use it in the power supply of my ARC Ref 3. Has anyone had any experience with the Tung-Sol TS6550 in the Ref 3? Have you compared it with the original Winged "C" SED 6550C shipped by ARC with this
line stage? Preferences? Reasons?

See:
http://thetubestore.com/tungsol6550.html
guidocorona

Showing 5 responses by bifwynne

Ironic and timely that this thread has been resurrected. I am planning to replace the ARC supplied 6550 WE tube in my PH-8 phono pre. The 6550 WE has 2000 on it and its time. Not having read this thread, I went ahead and bought a "modern" Tung Sol 6550.

I realize this thread is about the Ref 3. As stated, I will be rolling the PH-8 PS tube. I'll report back with my reactions. Just thinking out loud -- I wonder if the 6550 PS tube in the PH-8 phono pre makes as much difference as tube rolling in the Ref 3.

Btw, I used to own the Ref 3 and have since swapped it for the Ref 5 and then the Ref 5 SE. I mention this because I think the Ref 3 was and is a **great** linestage. IMO, while somewhat different sounding than the Ref 5 (not SE), both are (were) great linestages. I think the SE upgrade does take the Ref 5 to another level, but I gotta tell ya -- the Ref 3 is a classic.
This OP kinda spooked me about the Tung Sol 6550, so I ordered a 6550 WE from ARC. I should get it in a couple of days. In the meantime, I'm using the TS 6550. I'll swap the TS out for the WE when the WE comes in. I'll report back with reactions.
Barry, I ordered a SED "Winged C" 6550 from Upscale Audio. Kevin Deal called me after the order was placed suggesting I pick another tube because he wasn't satisfied his current batch of "Winged C" 6550s were reliable. Ergo, the Tung Sol 6550.

I expect to receive the ARC 6550 WE in a day or so. I'll swap it in and report back. In the meantime, I'm using the TS 6550. It works ok.
I've bought quite a few cryo'ed Sovtek 6H30pi tubes from Kevin. They work just fine. This is the first time I heard about issues with the SED "Winged C" 6550s and I've bought quite a few from Kevin over the years. So I wouldn't worry.

I seem to recall that Kevin told me some time ago that he sourced a bunch of the "original" issue SED "Winged C" 6550s in Europe or Transylvania or someplace like that. As you probably know, the old Svetlana (sp?) plant burned down. So no more "original" "Winged C" 6550s anymore.

Here's my issue. My ARC Ref 150 amp eats KT-120 tubes every 2000 hours. ARC charges $100 per tube. Ouch! Kevin and most other vendors charge half that amount. As you know, Kevin does a heck of a job burning in and testing his tubes. And so does ARC.

My dilemna is the matching process. ARC matched power tubes have always been an easy drop in. They bias easily and chnage bias evenly. By contrast, Kevin's match KT-120s are not as consistent. Some pairs match pretty closely and other pairs not so closely. I don't know why. So I may have to go back to ARC.

Cheers.
Forgot to come back with comments. But I'm back.

Ok, I swapped the ARC 6550 WE tube into my PH-8 and pulled the Tung Sol 6550. Maybe the 6550 isn't as critical in the PH-8 because I am not hearing a world of difference.

I have 3 ARC components that use the 6550 as a regulator tube in the power supply. Hopefully, Kevin will source a more reliable batch of SED Winged Cs when I am ready for a retube.

@Guido -- 500 hours seems kind of a long time for break-in. Can't say that I have had such an experience.

@Elberoth -- gotta say I am a believer about ARC sourced KT-120s. Maybe it's just bad luck, but for some reason, some of Kevin's KT-120s just don't bias as closely in my Ref 150 as those sourced from ARC. Can't say why.