ARC amp differences.

Heya,

I got a chance to listen to some Adonis Faber Serifinos the other day and absolutely loved them. They were detailed, but also musical. It was paired with a ARC VT-80. 

I was actually thinking that maybe I go up a notch and look at the ARC reference 80s but it was not available for demo. They did have the ARC 160s.

would it be to assume ithat if I like the 160s with the Serifinos then I would also like the 80s? If I like the 160s jugs that kind of power just overkill. My listening space is 20x14 and I will rarely try and super loud. 

if anyone has other tube amp recommendations pls feel free. I am looking for that slightly warm of neutral sound that holds the detail. 

thanks

mbarmash

Showing 1 response by woofhaven1992

Let me re-emphasize that the slam against ARC service is way off the mark. I have an older ARC amp and preamp. The service is so responsive and reasonably priced that I don't re-tube and re-bias the amp myself. I just have them do it. They are great.

I sent my pre-amp for service (noisy volume control), and after it came back I decided to be clever and do some soldering.  I damaged it. I sent it back. I told them it was my fault plus it was obvious. They repaired my flub under warranty. This is a 30-year old preamp.

The great service is a reason to consider ARC if you are looking at tubes, not a reason to avoid them.