AR Ref 600s Best for Genesis2?

I'm looking for the best tube amp for my Genesis2. Now using four monoblocks of VK 60s. The power now are just adequate but lacking the headroom needed for big orchestra.
How do you think about the Audio Research Ref 600 driving the Gen2? Will I sacrifice anything from the VK 60s?
Suchart
suchtan

Showing 4 responses by suchtan

Jonathan, thanks for your very informative post. Otherwise, I may get the bad idea of owning the REF 600. I understand you have the BAT VK 150SE. How do they compare to other tube amps at or around the same price bracket?
Suchart
Thanks Jtinn, for your advice. About a year ago, I had an opportunity to acquire a mint pair of VTL Wotan but I wasn't ready to, just acquiring the BATs. I understand the drawbacks of Ref60os but how about the sound? How do they compare to VTL or BAT soundwise? Would appreciate your sharing of experience.
Suchart
Jim, thanks for your opinion but I think you don't have to offend Jonathan just because he doesn't like the Ref 600s,do you? From my own experience, I'm also not quite convinced by the AR, having auditioned them several times at the dealer's showroom but not with the Genesis. The reason probably was because the Ref 600s need at least an hour to start sounding good according to Robert Harley's review in TAS and I never have the chance to listen to them that long.
The four VK 60s I'm using sound very good to me and Jonathan is absolutely right about their queitness compared to other amps my experience. The only limited factor is the power reserve which I sometimes wish I had more for some sonic spectacular recordings.
I would never be interested in the Ref 600s new at USD 40,000.- but found them on sales at less than half the price and wonder if they are a good buy.
Seems like I need a third opinion on this.
Thanks again Jonathan and Jim for your kind advise.
Suchart
May be I jumped to the conclusion too soon about the Ref 600s. But I must defend that the Bats are very suitable for the Genesis as well. In terms of sound quality, I regard the Bat as detailed, fast, and musical. With four monoblocks they can control the Genesis just fine, giving up only at the very loud level. I have no doubt about the power and control of the Ref600s but don't want to give up the blooming quality the Bats have in abundant. Now I decided to stick with Bats but will either add another 2 monoblocks of VK60s which is a cheaper alternative or switching to four monoblocks of Vk150s.