Apple Music vs Tidal for SQ

I compared Tidal to Apple music for the first time using speakers, not headphones. Apple seems bright and a bit less smooth the tidal on my system. I never tried the apple codec before but so far not a fan, it seems to have treble that is a bit fatiguing. What is your experience?

kota1

Showing 2 responses by oldschool1948

I have Tidal and Qobuz.  I like them both for SQ.  Qobuz sounds a bit more natural and smoother and therefore better on my system.  Apple music and even mp3 files sound pretty good on my system, but you can clearly hear the difference between streamed Tidal and Qobuz songs and my CD collection ripped to FLAC on my Zenith MK2 streamer.

Tidal has more of the music I like (Old School R&B, Jazz, and Soft Rock) and the songs in their personalized playlists (mixes) are much better than the Qobuz playlists to me.  

My ripped CDs sound better than Qobuz or Tidal CD quality music. Qobuz HiRes and Tidal MQA sound a bit better than my ripped CDs. Quboz HiRes sounds better than Tidal MQA. DSD128 songs played via the Zenith beats them all.

I play Qobuz through a Zenith MK2 to Matrix-X to PS Audio DSD DAC via i2s.  I play Tidal through the DSD DAC’s Bridge II card.  When playing via the Zenith, I use the Innous Sense app.  I play Tidal via Roon. Sense sounds much better than Roon.