Apogee Mini Grand Questions

I'm looking at a used pair of apogee Mini Grands locally.
They appear mint, very well taken care of. I've heard the Calipers before & I did like them a lot. My video (living)
room is 32' by 13' feet with video at one end, these will be set up in 2 channel at the other end. I'll audition them w/my Aragon 4004MKII &/or Pass Aleph 2s. I've been told these have an internal crossover. I can borrow a Pass X-350 from my friendly local dealer if I want....
Any suggestions on setting up these Apogees to get them dialed in quickly? I can audition them for a few days.

Thanks!

Daniel
danielk141

Showing 3 responses by danielk141

Thanks for the quick response! Binaural, you are right, there is an external "Mini Grand Dax" that goes w/the speaker. My friend picked up the Dax today & I'll try it tomorrow. The owner of these speakers is also selling Martin Logan Monoliths & a Muse Model Eighteen sub...
I believe he used the Muse w/the Monoliths..
This guy is selling a bunch of gear to get Watt/Puppies...

Daniel
I appreciate all the input! I've had these set up now since last Sunday. The subs work just fine in my room, which has a bass bump at 30 hertz.
I woud say the DAX is the weakest link in the system. I'm planning to get a pair of the Vandersteen filters to roll off the Stages at 80 hertz, then the crossover will only be processing the subs.
These are the best speakers I've had in my home, they do sound better to me than my last favorite long term speaker -Magnepan MG 3.3rs. I really do like the sound of ribbons!
I haven't been on the web or watching video since I first listened to these. My living room has about 20 of my favorite CDs on the couch, I just keep saying WOW, this is excellent 2 channel!

Daniel
I bought the speakers yesterday. I did take into account all the opinions of everyone who replied to my thread. I think the Stages are excellent! The reason I bought this pair as the "Mini Grand" is because I auditioned them from a longtime friend who is a Wilson, Vandersteen, Rowland, Theta dealer. He gets some like new high end trade ins from time to time and I can audition any of them at home. These speakers are about a 9 on a scale of 10. As far as shipping, they're already here & he let me use his van to bring them home. He's about 1.5 miles from my house...
Whether the subs are kept as subs or just used as stands depends on how they (and the Mini Grand Dax)respond to tweaking. My Pass dealer used to sell Aragon & he says he'll show me how to mod my Aragon amp for better bass slam. The Apogee website suggested by two of you is excellent! Thanks!