APOGEE CENTAUR MAJOR VS B&W MATRIX801S2 WHICH IS T

WHICH IS THE BETTER SPEAKER THE APOGEE OR THE B&W MATRIX801
digital3

Showing 5 responses by dave_72

I'd go for the B&W just for the simple fact of better build quality and ruggedness. Arguably more punch and dynamics. However, that ribbon tweeter is hard to beat!
The B&Ws *can* offer superb sound to this day, but again, imo, it will fall just short of the 801Ds and 800Ds. As well as the high end JBLs and Tannoys. They're quite a bargain on the used market! The Apogees, no big deal on those. I consider them slightly above average. Plus, the company's out of business, which can never be a good thing overall...
I *did* hear the Matrix 800s way back in '91 driven by Krell amps and preamp at a local dealer. From what I remember, it was good, but no big deal. Of course, it could have been placement, the room, and maybe the electronics too. I would definitely like to hear them again. But that's a long shot since they've been out of production for a long time...anyway, I still like the 800D and 801D. Especially the 801D. Too bad B&W discontinued those...
Ct0517, no I did not hear them side by side, so you got me there. I admit that a more thorough testing is what was called for. Although memory of sounds can be a strong thing, it's certainly not the same as side by side comparisons. Nevertheless, I still feel the 801D and 800Ds are the better speakers, but to each is own. The 801 Matrix can compete well as I alluded to before, I suppose.